Goodbye Scotland, but not for long!

Edinburgh Travel Blog

View of the city

I never slept well that night. I don't know why, surprisingly I was the only one in the room but  I just couldn't sleep. I got up at 7am, called up Haggis and said I'm not going on the return bus back to London. I slept again, woke up at 10am and kept my luggage at the locker. I headed out  after breakfast, and posted some stuff back to my Dallas address. I went to Waverley to buy my ticket to London. F*%#!! 89 GBP!

From there, did some general window shopping and headed around town for some shots of the National Gallery.

After lunch at Belushi's, I went back to......... Calton Hill. I was hoping I'd spend a short time here but ended up meeting a bunch of sweet Jap girls and was helping them out with things to do in Scotland.

National Art Gallery
It was already by 3pm and I realised I'd better get going if I am going to make it on time. Went back to Belushi's, hung out with the vet and Mike one last time, before heading to the station and boarding my train to London.

There I was imagining this lovely depature from Scotland but the trian was so crowded I was hunting for a good seat, and after 30 minutes of relentless pursuit, I found one. I was just so tired I dozed off. By the time I woke up, we were somewhere near York I believe!

I reached London that evening, getting ready for my parents' arrival the next day (Please ready my London'05 travelogue for more information) and couldn't believe I was nearly done with 2 weeks of backpacking. I had the best time ever, I was just hitting my head thinking why didn't I think of doing this earlier!

As far Scotland goes, it felt like going to an old mate's house. That's how I always feel everytime I go there. I got to see Edinburgh, the Tattoo, the FRINGE, Vaiji and family along with new sights like Skye, Culzhean Castle, etc. I just felt fortunate. I thanked God as I slept that night in the wonderful Kings Cross YHA and prayed that my next fortnight would be as good as the first!

Thanks for reading this travelogue. I am almost 9 months late on this, and I am surprised I remember everything so well but I s'pose that's Scotland for you... even the tiniest detail is tough to forget!

euphemy says:
Great Blog and wonderful pictures! I know how hard it can be to remember everything & I learned to keep a journal with details after the 1st overseas trip. You still did a great job!
Posted on: Oct 29, 2006
vances says:
Vikram,

Very much enjoyed your Scotland blog...and I am attempting to write a blog of our trip there in 2003 (and you thought racking your brains after nine months was perilous!). The cool thing is that we visited Urquhart Castle in the summer of 2003...and it sounds like you did as well!

Vance
Posted on: May 05, 2006
National Gallery of Scotland
National Gallery of Scotland
atop Calton Hill... again!
atop Calton Hill... again!
Edinburgh