From Glasgow to Edinburgh

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Clock Tower on Royal Mile

Vaiji walked me to the railway station to catch my train to Edinburgh. This was after we dropped her kid off to daycare. I reached Edn by about 11am in the morning and checked into St.Christopher's Inn where I had booked myself for a night.

My agenda for the day was to do The Palace of Hollyroodhouse and either Carlton Hill or Arthur's Seat. I started off with Holyroodhouse as i walked down the lovely Royal Mile. I'd seen Hollyroodhouse from the outside two years ago so I was glad I was able to visit it this time. This palace is different. It's not striking in terms of architecture and the fact that it's in a "city" without the fort and all that you have at the Castle doesn't give this one a touch of grandeur.

Queen's Gallery, near The Palace of Hollyroodhouse
It's like a posh Royal residence, put it at best.

I took the audio guides, and went through the rooms. It's as grand as hampton or Kensington Palaces. The amount of research and artwork dedicated to Mary, Queen of Scots is amazing. It portrays almost every phase of her life. They even had her clothes, some of her personal wear, so many artifacts, it was very educative.

When done with the Palace and the lovely pictures I took outside, my next stop after some caffeine was Calton Hill. this is another place I'd always wanted to go to after seeing it in the DK book. It was quite easy to get to, and not too steep as one would've imagined it. The view on top was amazing. Simply amazing! There was a lovely breeze. They have the Old City Observatory and some war memorial as well, looked like some Greek thing. Spent longer than  I had wanted to here, easily about an hour!

I got back to the hostel around 5pm and met up with Anna and Mike. Had an early dinner @ Belushi's and went to a play by a bunch of Americans about online dating. It was ok. Went from there to a bunch of pubs with another vet friend of Mike's who's from Cairns. We hung out till about 2am, Anna and Mike were hungry so we grabbed some Fish and chips and called it a night at 3am. I was so tired, and drunk I didn't feel like leaving at all! Wanted to just spend another day in Edinburgh.

Clock Tower on Royal Mile
Queens Gallery, near The Palace o…
Queen's Gallery, near The Palace …
back of the Palace