Glasgow and Culzhean Castle

Ayr Travel Blog

Culzhean Castle

Woke up that morning with everyone getting ready to go to work. I got ready early too, didn't see any point in just hanging around doing nothing. I started off the day by mailing some stuff back home as my luggage was getting heavy, and from there went to the usual Glasgow streets for shopping - Argyle and Buchanan streets, and Princess Square.

From here, headed to the railway station to Ayr, from where I had to catch the public bus which takes about an hour to Culzhean Castle. This Castle, for all its beauty I must say is very difficult to reach. I'm surprised that no effort has been made from the tourism board to make this a more "convenient" place. Having said that, it was all worth it.

The bus drops you off at the gate leading up to the Castle, but the Castle itself is a good 10 minutes walk.

View of the Castle by the sea
So green, and surprisingly so quiet! Started off with lunch at the rsnt located inside the Castle and headed towards the Castle. This place is so big and quiet, and in a way I'm glad it's not that much in the way of popular tourist spots so it's less inhabitated. I went into the Castle, the sets are just amazing. This Castle surprisingly looks less 'violent' than say Edinburgh or Stirling but just as majestic.

I didn't stay for the Castle tour, I did one of my own and it was quite boring inside. But the views on the outside were great next to the sea. Went for a walk in the garden before taking the long walk to the duck/swan pond where I just sat around listening to my iPod. I walked up to the Greenhouse, then to the deer park and came back to the main building.

I couldn't believe how much I've walked, the place is so beautiful and green it never felt like so long.

This castle apparently was never really a Castle from a royal point of view but a big house that was inhabitated by some...erm...rich people. No wonder the place looked more like a stately home than a Castle beaten down by battles.

I finished the castle by about 5pm, heading back was the pain as the bus frequency to Ayr is quite infrequent. I caught the bus, walked around the pretty town Ayr and finally reached Glasgow by about 7pm. I was dead beat, couldn't walk and just wanted to REST. Dinner was ready when I got back, and we all sat to chat after dinner till about 2 in the morning.

the gardens