Isle Of Skye Travel Blog

Brightwater, city on the Isle of Skye island

Travelling to the Isle of Skye was getting interesting! It was past 5:30pm now, the sun was still setting and the bus seemed awake after having slept the entire day. We went over a bridge from the Eilean Donan Castle, and I could faintly see the three colourful small buildings (pink, yellow and blue) which is the city centre of Portree, the capital of the Isle of Skye. I suddenly felt a rush of excitement!

Then through a series of bridges, ups and lows and we could see some more signs of inhabitation... this was going to be our place for the night, a tiny city called BRIGHTWATER. It looked sparse with a few odd houses, a few stores and of course a big pub! My hostel for the night was Saucy Mary's, hmmmm.

...! It was very house-ish, and the host seemed hospitable albeit a bit strict. We checked in, we were about 6 people per room. The funny thing is that this place had no locks, but the owner said that he's yet to see a theft despite this hostel having a loud enough pub downstairs and lots of visitors. We believed him (what else could we do?!). Had a quick shower and I went for a  walk around the city.

How different this was compared to other parts of the UK I've seen. It's so quiet, and yet felt so safe. We were staying by a harbour, and the sun was setting. It was lovely. I had my iPod on, the music complemented the mood of the night so well. There were a series of boats by the dock, and a beaten down church (or was it Castle) on one of the hills at a distance, all too lovely!

Dinner that night was classic fish and chips in the Saucy mary's pub itself. I ran into some backpackers I'd met in Scotland inc. Anna (from Canada) who was telling me her sob story of breaking up with her boyf. (girls girls girls... aaaargh!!) and that ruined my dinner. But that was about it, called it an early night and was in bed by 11pm.

Brightwater, city on the Isle of S…
Brightwater, city on the Isle of …
Isle Of Skye