Stars!

Deering Travel Blog

Night fog rolls in.

It was about 2:30 a.m. when I stepped outside of the gypsy wagon to have a smoke. As I opened the door , I was stunned to find what we had not seen since May - darkness. It was an odd and eerie shock, like what someone might feel after being blind then suddenly one day being able to see their strange new surroundings. The discovery incited mixed sensations; thrills of both the end of another season rapidly approaching and the Northern Lights - and the dread of bitter cold that will arrive with them.

The northeastern horizon, where dusk should linger, was obscured by low clouds and fog slowly crept up the valley. I was able to find the Big Dipper and was curious to see how high the North Star hovered overhead but scattered clouds obscured its location. I have always found stars fascinating and remembered seeing the North Star and the Southern Cross in the same night sky while crossing the Nubian Desert in Sudan years ago. Stars seemed to somehow make the world a smaller place.

A satellite slowly sailed from north to south in a silent polar orbit as I stood on the steps for long moments in awe and wonder. Night had arrived in the land of the midnight sun and I still lacked bulbs for my Mini Mag-Lite.

Deering