Rainy Run into Town

Kiana Travel Blog

The Kiana Trading Post

The clerk grinned as he rang up the transaction. I don't know if it was for the rainy boat-trip into town, that I was about to take a picture, or for paying the whopping $82 for the item. They would hold me over until my usual, much less costly supply arrives next week. Everything in the remote village stores is expensive. I justified the high cost with the fact that (except for a few beers in Nome) I hadn't spent any money since the middle of May.

It was my second visit to the Kiana Trading Post in almost week, since the DC-4 hauled in supplies from Fairbanks. What brought me here this time was neither bulbs for my mini Mag-Lite nor food, groceries, or the latest issue of People magazine, but cigarettes. Marlboro reds. A carton of soft packs. I knew it was coming but put off the trip until the last one was snuffed out in the Rosarita Green Chiles can that I had converted into an ashtray. I double-checked my shoulder bag, day pack, duffle bag, and shot-gun case. I was out.

rotorhead85 says:
Ah yes, I just corrected that. Thanks!
Posted on: Aug 21, 2007
X_Drive says:
If I read that right, you paid $82 for a pack of cigarettes! You've just gotta quit! :) LOL
Posted on: Aug 21, 2007