The Last Workday for Awhile

Wasilla Travel Blog

Roger's cabin in the fall.

I only appeared in the hangar for half the day. I turned in my company keys and credit cards then organized my tool box. Airline baggage handlers hate red toolboxes regardless of weight or size. They like to drop, roll, or stand them on end. Their livelihoods, or lives, don't depend on them. I secured the loose tools in the box's upper tray with duct tape. In the bottom of the box, anything delicate was wrapped in shop towels. I made a list of any tools that I had to borrow or those of other mechanics that made some jobs easier. It isn't often that field mechanics work together but when they do, regardless of experience, everyone learns something new.

Though the far north was well into the fall season, leaves were just beginning to turn color in the south-central region of the state. Moose gnawed green grass along the highway as I drove out to Willow Creek to visit my cousin Roger. He had managed to get a lot of work done on his cabin but continued to prepare for the approaching winter by completing a shelter for his new Dodge truck and by stacking a hefty supply of crucial and precious firewood. A nearby stream that was frozen over in April now trickled just a few yards from the cabin. Roger would spend each weekend out there, year-round, enjoying the graceful setting of his own Alaska wilderness.

Rogers cabin in the fall.
Roger's cabin in the fall.
photo by: rotorhead85