Kiana Travel Blog

Kiana camp

Around June 20th construction was completed on our new tent-camp up on the Kobuk River, about 100 miles northeast from Kotzebue. Drill-rig equipment would be flown into the nearby village of Kiana, about 2 miles away, then helicoptered into the Baird Mountains, about forty miles to the north.

Our two-man WeatherPort tents are roomy and fitted with wooden floors and deisel-burning Geo-Stove heaters. Being the first to arrive at the new site, I was able to scrounge enough lumber to add a fine deck and a few shelves. Beds are built of plywood with three-inch foam. Joe and I elevated ours a few inches, sleep on the floor beneath them, and use the handy platform above us for storage space and tables! We boxed-in both ends and one side of the beds with plywood and draped mosquito netting on the entry side.

My hangar.
  Also, being the first to arrive, we had first choice so picked the end tent in the back row. There are two rows of four tents. We dubbed ours #1 Easy Street.

The camp includes four larger tents: a bath-house with two showers, two washers, and two dryers; a storage/pantry tent with freezer and refrigerator; a spacious office tent; and the kitchen/dining room tent. The kitchen is first class with a commercial sized stove/oven, huge freezer, another refrigerator, a stainless steel serving table, two sinks, a dishwasher (!), and seating for sixteen. A plywood shed houses a brand new deisel generator (which runs day and night) and the water pump which brings water up the hillside from the Kobuk River. We have a 4-wheeler ATV with a trailer and an aluminum boat with a 25 horsepower outboard motor. To top it all off, the camp boasts a satellite dish to provide telephone and internet connections! It is truly a five-star camp. I don't have half of these comforts at home!

alyssa_ob says:
Very nice accomodations! 5 Star for sure!
Posted on: May 31, 2008
cabotono says:
Great!
Posted on: Aug 23, 2007
My hangar.
In (on) the Baird Mountains.
In (on) the Baird Mountains.
Bear tracks along the Kobuk River.
Bear tracks along the Kobuk River.
On the Kobuk River
On the Kobuk River
Kiana camp on the Kobuk River.
Kiana camp on the Kobuk River.
Kiana