Home, well Sort of

Gladstone Travel Blog

La Bamba in front of JC's.

My Alaska Airlines flight touched down at Chicago O'hare about 7:00 a.m. By eight, I was on 294 North in a one-way rental car. I bee-lined through Milwaukee, Green Bay, and into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan then dropped the car at the Escanaba Airport, called Poorboy, and got a ride the remaining eight miles. Despite the one hour time change from Chicago, it was about 2 o'clock in the afternoon when I reached home.

Which has become routine over the years, I jotted down the electrical meter reading, stretched a rubber hose out of the building, and flipped a few circuit breakers. While water flowed into the yard, to open up the well cavity, I fired up the Volkswagen camper. When the water cleared, I opened valves, bled air from the lines at each spigot and faucet, and filled the water heater.

Visiting fishing boat from Wisconsin docks at the Gladstone Yacht Club.
The process took less than an hour.

By early evening I went into town - five miles distant on the Lake Michigan shore. The weather was mild, trees still thick and green. The air stirred by a late summer breeze. After two long-craved slices of Main Street pepperoni pizza and a fountain Pepsi with lots of ice, I was prepared to make the rounds and parked 'La Bamba' in the dirt parking lot behind JC's Bar. Even the smallest of towns in the U.P. and northern Wisconsin tend to have more bars than churches. Gladstone has a population of about 5,000 and there are thirteen bars. Friends would be in them. It was too late to go to church and too early to go home so I went into JC's for a beer. Like every time I visit home, it seemed like I never left. That can be a good thing.

troysgonewalkabout says:
Brilliant. Thanks for bringing a taste of the frontier to those of us only used to urban comforts!
Posted on: Dec 21, 2011
La Bamba in front of JCs.
La Bamba in front of JC's.
Visiting fishing boat from Wiscons…
Visiting fishing boat from Wiscon…
photo by: rotorhead85