Behind the Red Cabin on the Kobuk

Kiana Travel Blog

Mushrooms behind the red cabin

About five miles upstream, the Kobuk River makes a split then reconnects with itself seven miles downstream at Kiana. Our camp is on the northern branch. The morning foggy skies lifted around mid-day so I took the motorboat up to the main Kobuk, then downstream on the southern branch one mile to a red cabin on the southern bank.

The place was deserted when I anchored the boat and climbed a wooden stairway leading through thick willows to the small shack. The door was only secured by a piece of wire but I didn't enter. I paused long enough to photograph the view from the front-porch deck then continued around back, past the outhouse, and on up the hill. On a topography map, I had seen a rather large pond and wanted to have a closer look.

The walking was smooth on hardened, dry tundra which was speckled with blueberries, red salmonberries, and an assortment of mushrooms.

Young bull moose at quarter of a mile
Spruce trees and small willows were scattered thin which greatly reduced the risk of a close-up bear encounter. Any sighting would provide ample time to respond.

I saw the pond as I topped the hill but it was nearly a mile to the east. And there, near the spruce stand that separated the pond from the Kobuk,  in deep green grass, grazed a bull moose; about a four year old by the size of its rack. I stayed on high ground, in the open, and before getting within quarter of a mile, the beast vanished into the woods. But I didn't mind for even at that distance, it was a most rewarding sight. Alaska.

Mushrooms behind the red cabin
Young bull moose at quarter of a m…
Young bull moose at quarter of a …
Kiana