Buckling Down and Getting a Job

Anchorage Travel Blog

Combining work and global travel can be absolutely fantastic but not all destinations are sweet. My last job had been in a small African country where life was rather cruel - for most. A thousand people suffered cholera and a hundred died by it from drinking the water or eating the fruit grown near filthy waterways smothered with trash, garbage, and raw sewage. While average workers struggled to earn $2 a day, their President pocketed millions each week from off-shore oil royalties. That wealth was flown by his shiny new Boeing 737 to personal bank accounts in Switzerland or the Cayman Islands. People crapped in streets lined with $100 a night hotels owned by the dictator or his immediate family‚Ķ

A three month job over there put me off on working at all for awhile. I sought time in a kinder, calmer world and spent the next two summers at home in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, each with a road-trip to California in my 1976 VW camper; one, all the way to Cabo San Lucas in Baja, Mexico. I spent the two winters in Southeast Asia - not really traveling but kicking back on a low budget in eastern Thailand, Cambodia, and a gradual return to Vietnam. After the two years off, and just nine days home from SE Asia, it was more of necessity than desire that I heeded my dad's advise, heard regularly over the past three decades: 'buckle down and get a job already.'

I needed to work somewhere nice for a change. In summer, in the U.S., that would be Alaska. The field season usually goes from mid-May when northern creeks thaw until  early September  when they begin to freeze - about 110 days. After the extended holiday, I sought a slightly longer season. During March and April, helicopter operators scramble to find experienced crews willing to man aircraft on remote contracts as vast and varied as the Alaska wilderness itself. I hired on with an outfit out of Wasilla which I had never worked for before but heard good things about from friends who had - both pilots and other field mechanics. This will be my 16th season working up here since 1973 and each one has been a unique and unforgettable summer of adventure.

aleksflower says:
nice words, liked the blog!
Devika1985 says: