Singapore River and the Quays

Singapore Travel Blog

Singapore river pierce right through the central part of the Island state. Rich in history and drama, a once polluted river has been transformed into a clean and vibrant river. The rise of Singapore as the economic hub for the region goes side by side with the clean up process for this humble river. For a Filipino like me, this is a far cry from Pasig River. These two rivers were both on the same condition 20 years ago, but now, the one in Manila lagged behind.

Also, there are three famous quays (docks) along the river: Robertsons, Clarke and Boat.

Boat Quay is situated at the mouth of Singapore River. This is in front of Asian Civilizations Museum. Used to be the center for trade due to its location and said to have good fung sui, this place is now full of bars, restos that serve variety of delicacies from different cultures and origins.

Clarke Quay is located north of Boat Quay. From a tourist eye, the most captivating feature of this place is the reverse bungee (GMAX) and the phallic umbrellas/blowers. Same as with Boat quay, this place is full of bars and resto but this place is far more touristy. Discos are also found in the vicinity.

Robertson Quay is located further north of Clarke Quay. This is place is less congested and for me, the best among the three that I enumerated. This place is a mix of residential and commercial area. My favorite feature of this place is the Alkaff Bridge. This bridge is painted with loud colors in circular design. For someone who is very visual, this bridge is truly special. What makes this bridge a lot more special to me? I found out that the artist who did the designs was Pacita Abad, a Filipino artist.

These places never fail to amuse and entertain me. I would normally walk from Clarke Quay to my place passing part of Clarke Quay and watch automatic kites flying, the Pacita Bridge and Robertsons Quay.
planisphere says:
No prob! When are you coming over Singpore?
Posted on: Aug 22, 2007
Cappuccino says:
Good to know for my upcoming trip! Thanks!
Posted on: Aug 22, 2007
planisphere says:
yes! for dining and booze. this is a good place. :)
Posted on: Aug 21, 2007