Loving Yong Tau Foo in SG Again

Singapore Travel Blog

It was for some reason which is beyond my imagination that I returned to Singapore after a year and few months. I can't even pinpoint one outstanding reason compelling me to return to this small and yes, with the available activities could be perceived as boring place to live. Anyway, I am putting into the shelf now the thinking of why am I here again. This is my now, let's make the most out of it! :)

Okay, after more that a month since I came back. I would say that I am half way adjusted with my Singapore life. I got my own place now. I am getting used to my new shift (afternoon shift). I am loving my food here (of course yong tau foo and chicken rice as my staple). Yong Tau Foo has been my symbol for Singapore, not Merlion and definitely not Sentosa. :)

Yong tau foo is essentially a clear soup containing a varied selection of food items including fish balls, crab sticks, bittergourds, cuttlefish, lettuce, ladies fingers, as well as chilis, and various forms of fresh produce, seafood and meats common in Chinese cuisine.
Some of these items, such as bittergourd and chili, are usually filled with fish paste (surimi). The foods are then sliced into bite-size pieces, cooked briefly in boiling broth and then served either in the broth as soup or with the broth in a separate bowl. The dish is eaten with chopsticks and a soup spoon and can be eaten by itself (served with a bowl of steamed rice) or with any choice of egg or rice noodles, or bee hoon (rice vermicelli).

This food is deemed to my Filipino food as punishment since it could really be bland for a Pinoy taste but with good amount of chilli and sweet paste, this food rocks! :)

Enough of food, what has changed here in Singapore since I left.... Let me enumerate the obvious:

1. Construction construction construction.
Im Marina bay, the Integrated Resort is under construction, three towers of modern architecture rose across Marina Bay from Merlion area point of view. Universal Studio Construction has eaten most part of Sentosa. New shopping malls in orchard and all over the island like ion and orchard central.
2. Singapore Flyer. When I left, it was still under construction and is operating now. It was just in front of the building where I work. I tried it twice - one at night, one in the morning. Both are free courtesy of my friend's card, both rides are uneventful. For me, it's not worth paying some much for a ride to the flyer for a reason that I could see the same view everyday, there's no novelty to me.
3. Cigarettes from outside Singapore are totally NOT allowed in Singapore.
Before, I can still bring in one pack minus a stick. And that's legal. Now, not a stick is allowed. Boo! :)
4. Everything is a bit more expensive due to GST.
5. Taxi fare gets more expensive as well.
6. Singapore F1 - Night Race. There was already some preparation when I left, but this time, I was able to see it. I am working where the track is, so I can hear the sound of it. I am 16 floors above the track, allowing me to watch the F1 for free. :)

What are the things that have not changed:

1. People are still the same. Same same lah! People are still rushing. For what, I still don't know. :)
2. I still love the food be it from hawkers or from a good resto.
3. I still have to walk far everyday (unlike in the Philippines where anything more than 100 steps is far).

4. Singapore is still hot and humid. And weather could be crazy sometimes. Effect of global warming, I suppose.
5. Price for house rental is still high despite of the recession.
6. HAZE! It's either from the forest clearing in Sumatra or from the burnt incense during chinese ghost month. Nonetheless, it's not pleasant!!!!!

I could have missed more items on the list but those are the ones that are pretty obvious to me.

Since I am back here, the only way to survive is to enjoy whatever this small island could offer - the diversity in terms of culture and people (and food!), the shopping malls and travel to nearby countries (since SG is a travel hub).

Also, I am learning to speak Singlish again. Argghhhh!
cookeymuncher says:
:D LOL...
Posted on: Oct 01, 2009
planisphere says:
naj, let's run! im heavier than ever, this has to stop! hahaha
nic, haiintindihan pa rin naman. hehehe
Posted on: Oct 01, 2009
najiah10 says:
i love yong tau fu too!!! lets have some together!!! miss ya!
Posted on: Sep 30, 2009