Prologue: The trip 15 years in the making

Quito Travel Blog

Our plane at Dusseldorf Airport

It must have been about this time, 15 years ago, that I was approaching the end of my second stint through South America. Somewhere on the way from Bolivia to Chile I had met a Dutch guy who had been travelling through South America for some six months and he kept on raving how Ecuador had been his best experience. As I had a flight to catch from Chile to Australia, I was unable to add Ecuador to my itinerary, so I made the decision that on my next big trip I was most definitely going visit the one Andean nation I had missed.

Well, not sure what happened, but somehow other countries got in the way. My next big trip saw me visiting Central America, after which Asia became the continent of focus of my subsequent travel destinations. At one point my sister and I came close to booking a trip to Ecuador, in 2009, but in the end we opted for Southern Africa instead.

As one does, I presume.

So when my girlfriend and I started discussing possible destinations for this year’s summer holiday, Ecuador came up again.
Mariska is a teacher, so our timing is bound to school holidays, and it is disappointing how many far away destinations actually have decent weather during Dutch summer. Well guess what? Ecuador lies on the equator (you guessed it, didn’t you?), which means it has pretty much the same weather all year round. So it was an easy choice really – this must be the first ever time that I have chosen a travel destination based on climate or weather forecast!

Not that Mariska needed much convincing. One word was enough really: Galapagos – the famous island group that sparked Darwin’s evolution theory has been as long on her bucket list as it has on mine.

Jeroenadmiraal says:
Oh I missed your feature, good work!
Posted on: Aug 19, 2014
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured blog!! :D
Posted on: Aug 09, 2014
rsvpme says:
Congrats on making feature..great report.
Posted on: Aug 09, 2014