Delta Song loves me

New York Travel Blog

It was a relatively painless flight from LAX to JFK. Five hours is a long time to be stuck in a plane, but I was just thankful there was no turbulence. Last time I flew to New York, the plane had to circle for at least an hour over New Jersey... not a pleasant experience when lightning strikes nearby. But I'm getting off track.

You know how people tell you to bring as many carry-on bags as possible? It's a pretty silly rule; that is, until they manage to lose your luggage. I could easily have brought my suitcase with me, but being as vertically challenged as I am, I didn't want to suffer the minor humiliation of standing on the seat to slide it into the overhead bin. SO, I checked it in, and it disappeared into the bowels of the airport. I tried to remain calm as I filled out some form, hailed a cab, and climbed in empty-handed.

Seeing Renee and Mara, however, managed to lift my spirits. Mara, who teaches elementary school in Harlem, has a lovely apartment on 110th street. My mind is still boggled by how she managed to find a decent-sized Manhattan apartment on Craigslist... Let alone one with hardwood floors, a fair amount of sunlight, and old fashioned sinks with hot and cold taps. I supressed the urge to ask if her roommate would be moving out any time soon.

New York