meeting hupfstrudel

Toronto Travel Blog

trailer with car loaded for race.

so got up early Friday.....had to go with my cousin Gerry to pick up a rental car.  Went down to his restaurant.  Actually helped him to refill some supplies and get things set up for the breakfast rush before his staff arrived.

At around 9am he called over to his friend at the rental car office.  My cousin was told that they were short staffed and he would have to come to the office.  We left to drive over and after getting there it took about 20 minutes to get a vehicle.

I was provide a fairly new Pontiac G5 which was efficient, but not necessarily the best vehicle in the world.  You will see in future blog entries, my family is all into cars and speed.

Went over to another cousin's shop (auto).  Bumped into Nic, he was leaving for home to get about an hours rest after working for the past 24 getting a new racecar up and running for testing.

One of the race cars on the lift.
  When I got in the shop....Duane was working hard and, Kevin was taking a catnap in the office.

Needless to say, no one had much time.

I took off and went back home for just a bit, then left to Yonge St @ Sheppard Ave.  I was meeting my first TravBuddy at the Boston Pizza.

After a while Dom showed up.  He walked from where ever he came from (home, I guess).  Not 100% sure what each of us would look like, we kind of didn't jump to saying hello......when we did though it was really cool.  For me it was like meeting an old friend that I had not seen in a decade.  Dom gave me a hug and I knew it was going to be a great friendship.

We never did get inside the Boston Pizza.  And I never did tell Dom the reason I did not want to go inside.

Dom
  It seems that this particular franchise appeared to get a wee bit annoyed by me loitering around their doors without patronizing them.

Dom and I left and we talked a bit, I got to know Dom pretty well......his love for live, adventure, and living.  I asked him what he wanted to do, but that was not such a good idea.  I think, just maybe, I knew more about Toronto than he did.  We both agreed to being thirsty and I led him due south, I figured Lake Ontario was a good place to start.  It was!!!!

As we drove south, I noticed the CN Tower.  I although by it for many times, have not gone up to see the view.  And, from the conversations that we had, I knew Dom had not gone up either.  So it was first on my agenda.

CN Tower beside Rogers Centre

We went in......went through some crazy scanner that just blew alot of air.  little did I know that i discharged the battery in my phone and almost did the same with my camera.

Finally at the top the view was spectacular.  From so high up you can almost see everything.  After walking around the observation deck and being mesmarized as I stepped over the glass floor.  You know perception is everything.  I seriously felt like I was going to fall through.  Had some great times with Dom, got some conversation in while sitting on the glass floor.

Some time later we found ourselves outside walking around Rogers Center (formerly the SkyDome).  An Argos game was about to start and there was much going on outside.

another view of Lake Ontario from the CN Tower
  News cameras, balloon artists (found out that Dom can make those amazing balloon animals as well), food vendors, ticket scalpers, live bands.....

Kept on pace to our original destination..... Lake Ontario, got down to the water which wasn't much further.  We got down to the end of the road......somewhere in the conversations.....found out that there was not much that Dom would not do and somehow I had convinced him that he would not swim in the Lake?????  Yeah, right!!!  It was only moments after that......1, 2, 3.....he was shoes off and into the water.  He really can swim.  A little bit later, he convinced me to once again......live.....jump in.  really, he was right, how many times do you get to swim in a Great Lake?

I jumped in, went pretty far down.

Lake Ontario from CN Tower observation deck.
  Coming up I guess I swam in to much and hit my head pretty hard on the dock.  Then couldn't get out......did I mention can't really swim to well.  I had to be saved by my friend.

The night is coming.  We dried off and needed to get some nourishment.  Off to.....well we did not know where.

Found ourselves at Philthy McNasty's......a pub on King St.  Had a couple of rounds of beer, some buffalo wings and a few rounds of billiards.  Great night!!!!!!  Won't tell you much more, except we made it home around 4am.

Caenino says:
Beautiful how friendships can form so easily! It just depends on how open you are towards other people I guess... Nice picture of the view inside the CN tower!
Posted on: Jun 15, 2008
CN Tower beside Rogers Centre
another view of Lake Ontario from …
another view of Lake Ontario from…
Lake Ontario from CN Tower observa…
Lake Ontario from CN Tower observ…
bridge to rogers centre
rogers centre with roof open
rogers centre with A for Argos game
rogers centre with A for Argos game
Toronto Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Beer which most would go for is average priced for downtown Toronto. The Buffalo wings were tasty and I would definately order some more. the pool t… read entire review
Toronto Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
The Best Jamaican food in all of North America. If you want to eat authentic Jamaican food while in the Toronto area, stop by Nicey's in Scarboroug… read entire review
Toronto