Queen Charlotte Sound

Marlborough Sounds Travel Blog

Hmm... beautiful and peaceful. Still, I don't know if the cost of the boat excursion was worth it. But maybe I just chose the wrong one? My brother came to visit, and we went on a loop. Out of Chch, up to Marlborough Sounds, cut across to Westport, Punakaiki and the West Coast, then back to Chch via Arthur's Pass. If I could do it all over again, I would have taken him to Fiordland. But Marlborough Sounds was still beautiful and serene...

We went on a mail run. Basically, you go on a boat, and travel along with the postman as he delivers mail to various homes. Some of the houses nestled in and around the sounds have absolutely no road access. Usually people have their holiday home (or 'bach') up there, and you can only go to/from by boat. Each house has its own little dock and everything. So we went on the mail run, and saw gorgeous dolphins, and fog just hovering above the green hills.

It was really nice, and I'm glad I went, but if I had my way I would've taken an aerial trip. Maybe a flight over the sounds to really get the full picture of it...

My flatmate Jarrad spent a summer in the Sounds with some friends. They hiked and were working on a house, so he has a special affinity to it. If I ever went back I'd definitely get some hiking in, and spend more time there... Not just a $50 boat ride no matter how nice it was.

Marlborough Sounds