Thunderstrom Season Starts

Las Vegas Travel Blog

July 27, 2007: After a long week of close calls with thunderstorms coming close to the Valley, finally the better one maded close enough to home to actually go out for  pictures. Although the house is a mess and finding the battery was a hassle, hence the first time one came close I opted to stay on the patio. However today, I rather hunted for the battery, grabbed the tripod and headed out towards the desert and see what kind of luck I can have in taking some pictures.
   Ever since, I read up on the idea on the internet I wanted to give it a shot. However, being in germany thunderstroms are fairly weak and usually have little to now significant lightning strikes. However, knowing that I was gonna be stationed in Las Vegas and hearing the stories regarding the "great thunderstorm season". However when I got here, I was hit with Dry Heat, no rain and very few clouds. I was instantly disappointed, however i was hopeful. And finally moonsoon season had arrived. And here is the by product of my first ever attempt at catching lightning. Let me know what you guys think about my semi-so-so attempt. Hopefully there will more to come, as the season progresses. Till then Stay tuned.

By the way this Thunderstorm left behind 51kts of gusty winds at Nellis AFB. Glad i didn't have to work that night.
sarahelaine says:
Wow! Storms are one of the things that I missed when I came home from MA. The photos are great.
Posted on: Oct 19, 2007
Sunflower300 says:
Darwin, Australia is a fantastic spot for thunderstorms. In the wet season like clockwork in the afternoon...BOOM!!! And then comes the fantastic lightning strikes.
Posted on: Aug 02, 2007
boriana84 says:
Ive been on a mission to capture lightning, but quite unsuccessfully! Here we get great thunder storms, but it can never capture it! Another thing I am after is water spouts...seen lots, but never have the camera! hahaha...absolutely awesome pictures though!
Posted on: Aug 02, 2007