We are back to Istanbul!

Istanbul Travel Blog

Since Thursday, we have been doing the usual sightseeing in Istanbul - Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Underground Cistern, Blue Mosque, Suleymaniye Mosque and Dolmabahce Palace. What helped us a lot during the Old Historic City tour was to get a room in a hotel right down the street from Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace. It was just 2 min walk to most of the major places. Three words can summarize the past three days :Walking, eating and shopping :) Hopefully we are balancing the first two so that we dont gain any weight, but I dont think there is any limit to the third one :)
We havent had any problem with Istanbul part of the trip so far..except two instances, first one was that I was bothered by the tourist guides at Topkapi Palace entrance. They thought I was being an illegal tour guide because I didnt have any guide I.D. but had 7 foreigners following me everywhere:) I told them they are my family but I dont think they believed me. Anyway, who cares? We saw the Palace without hiring any of them:)
The other one was at the Spice Bazaar. Jay and his dad decided to buy sun glasses and went off by themselves while I was shopping. I couldnt find them for 30 min or so and got really scared that I lost them! While I was worried and upset , trying to page them in the Spice Bazaar and asking people "Have you seen these men?" type of questions, there they were... smiling and proud of themselves, coming back to the Bazaar with the sun glasses:) They just wanted to have a small adventure:)

Anyway, for now, the historic part of the tour is over, we will see different sides of Istanbul from now on.

jhorvath says:
How fun! I just went to a lot of the same sites last week! We started out in Israel for about 10 days and then flew to Turkey and went to Izmir (stayed in Kusadasi) and saw Ephesus then on to Istanbul to see the Blue Mosque, Hagis Sophia, the Spice Bazaar, the Grand Bazaar, St. John's Basilica, Topkapi Palace & the Underground Cistern! We had a group of 54 from my church that went on the 2 wk adventure. It was incredible!!!!
Posted on: Jun 03, 2006