It's all in the name ?

Caspar Travel Blog

A bridge, where ?

We were really looking forward to seeing the golden gate bridge in all its splendour. However, it was a 'right peasouper' as you can see from the photos. We travelled north on the coast scenic route and it remained quite foggy. We stopped at a really cool beach and decided to get out. The wind was blowing, it was really misty and the waves were big. I again decided to dip my toes. I was stood right at the edge of the wave line, and remarked to Si and Caz that Neptune was a big wuss with his ickle wickle waves. Next moment a rather small wave hit me, but, the riptide nearly pulled me over and I stumbled badly. I ended up looking as if i had peed myself !! I was not amused although obviously Si and Caz were !! I had to change my trousers in the car.

The coast road was some of the windiest roads I have ever driven on, it was so cool.

My super-absorbant pad leaked !
And the really craggy coast line was breathtaking. Once the fog rolled out back to sea we got some fantastic pictures of the coastline as you can see. However the fog was not that far out to sea and looked like a big white sheet of ice taking up the whole of the horizon.

We got to the campsite at about 7pm, it really was right on the coast and our pitch was just inside the forest. There were loads of eagles flying, or rather gliding overhead, six or seven at a time sometimes. This meant so much for me to see as I have always wanted to see eagles close by in the wild. One swooped down about 20 feet above us, I was like a kid in sweet shop, so mesmerised. R si got the barbecue going and I tried to help out by doing my best to look like a lumberjack, but si said I looked more like Johnny Briggs !!! We all seem to have our own jobs, I drive and moan alot, Si cooks in the evening and burns things and drinks a lot, and Caz washes up and keeps us in order.

Yet another fashion disaster.
Again we got an early night, it was great lying in my sleeping bag listening to the waves crashing on the shore. However when I got up in the middle of the night, it was very spooky, the fog had rolled in and everything was so quiet and still.

The next day we headed into Fort Bragg initially for a look around and found, to our eternal delight and constant mirth, a shop called 'Spunky Skunk Toys'  !! Not a lot more you can say about that, better than Kinder egg suprises we reckon.

We then haeded along the coast to 'Ten mile beach' which we reckon was about 7 miles long. Never known Americans to exagerate !!! The sand was so hot I had to keep my sandals on as it burnt my feet.

!!!!
We sat out on an outcrop of rocks and took lots of photos of the waves breaking on them. Si and Caz wndered far up the beach whilst i stayed there and did a bit of thinking, especially about some things, if you can't sit next to the sea and have a dam good 'think' about things in your life, where can you do it ?

We headed back to camp planning on having a barbecue for once in the light (before 8pm then). We wandered down to the store to get some provisions and sort out some internet stuff quickly and Si and Caz got chatting to Eric. Now in life we sometimes meet people you can call 'characters', they they have obviously seen and been through a lot in life and have plenty of blagging stories to tell, some embelished but mostly not. Eric was a older man, big beard, long grey hair, and wore (yes you guessed it) a large hat !! (That may remind people I know of someone else in our lives, can't name names though, for fear of having dodgy burger fumes breathed over me next time we are at the football !!).

Simon's carers looking overjoyed.
Eric had known many Hells Angels back in the 60's, and he sure had the scars to show it. He had benn stabbed twice, shot 3 times and apparently tazered twice (although no scars to prove this). He was a great bloke who chatted to us for hours and was very interested in knowing about our lives too. Cheers Eric, we had a great time and certainly found an enthuasiasm to california.

We did have our Barbecue, in the dark, at about 9pm. Nevermind, better luck next day. Tomorrow we again head further up the Californian coast.

!!!!
Simons carers looking overjoyed.
Simon's carers looking overjoyed.
A slightly windswept Si and Caz.
A slightly windswept Si and Caz.
The coastline and the wall of fog.
The coastline and the wall of fog.
EAGLE, waiting for me to sleep !
EAGLE, waiting for me to sleep !
The early morning mist.
The early morning mist.
Ten mile beach (or so they say).
Ten mile beach (or so they say).
The action shot.