travels begin....

Manchester Travel Blog

I mentioned in my last entry that it was a 'rather miserable' day - that was the day of the floods!  It really was a perfect day to visit the museum, although everyone else seemed to have the same idea, so it was heaving!  I went to church that evening (yes mum, church!) at westminster abbey where a choir was singing the service.  The acoustics were amazing.. and i got to have a look around the abbey for free!!

Managed to squeeze in (yep, it's tough!) a couple of nights out on the town before heading off on my travels.  Also had a day out in London with Tam.  She showed me all the best places to drink, shop, eat and... er..drink!

Headed off to Oxford at the beginning of the week.  Arrived to discover that my plan to cycle in the Cotswald villages was unlikely to eventuate.  Unfortunately, the trains to the area were cancelled due to flooding!  Very disappointing :(  I soon realised that Oxford itself was also affected by the flooding - several walks were blocked off and half the botanical gardens were under water!  However, despite this, I spent 3 days wandering around the magnificent city of dreaming spires.  It's so steeped in history, something we are seriously lacking in Oz!  I visited several of the colleges including Christ Church, Magdalen (said Mawd-len... bloody English!) and Merton.  Each has their own list of famous students or teachers who attended at some time.  My favourite was Magdalen college - it had both amazing buildings and lovely grounds.. including its very own deer parkChrist Church is the biggest of all the colleges and has a dining hall that featured in the first two Harry Potter films.. took a snap or two there!  A must do when in Oxford is the Eagle and Child pub - it has great pub grub, but was also the weekly meeting place for CS Lewis and JRR Tolkein to discuss their ideas.  I was hoping for some inspiration whilst there, but only spent more of my dwindling aussie dollar!  Oh well, it was worth a shot!

I'm now in Manchester where my first experience of the famous night life was at a (quite horrible!) karaoke bar (thanks James!)  It was a great night though, so who's complaining?!!  Will definitely have to check out the curry mile and more of the nightlife while here.  Hope all is well back home.. it may even be drier there than it is over here!  Don't know if the words English and summer quite fit together somehow!

nicohart says:
ps. how was the tour of scotland??!! oche aye!
Posted on: Aug 10, 2007
nicohart says:
heya,

it's tricky to do this sight - they keep making me sign up when i already have... anyhoo, love your updates and photos, keep em coming.

what's the latest? any chance of an update on facebook?

miss you