In love with Anna Maria

Tampa Travel Blog

I don't know why I'm writing this. I don't want other people to go to Anna Maria island. Only me. But hey, work is quiet and i love to write. I went on a family holiday to Anna Maria in 2006 for three fabulous weeks. We stayed in the Beach House which is on one of the quietest parts of a long beach. The house was very homely and big enough for my dad, sister, aunty, uncle, cousin, and four members of our Canadian family to get along comfortably. Most evenings were spent on the verander looking out for dolphins and sharks and watching spectacular thunder storms which made us jump and laugh. One night we waited on the beach because baby tutles were hatching from their nest. We cooked as a family mostly as some of the food in Florida was a little unhealthy. But we also had some lovely nights out too. Lobster is great here and a good price. There is also a fabulous restaurant on the sea front, the beach cafe i think it's called. Our favourite place to spend the evening was the old pier where we spotted a manatee, a giant sea turtle, millions of fish and huge pelicans. It's a great place for all the family to go and drink beer and eat. The sunsets are simply stunning.

Shopping is also great. The pound was strong against the dollar which meant my £150 stretched to a DKNY dress, 2 jeans, 4 t-shirts, a billabong bikini, a quicksilver cowboy hat, 2 pairs of heels, a roxy hoodie and purse and an Abercrombie and Fitch hoodie. We bought another suitcase to bring it all back. My dad bought a Les Paul guitar for half the UK price. The savings we made must have covered the flights. Plus they have puppy shops you can go into. I really wanted to bring back a Shitsu but I don't think my flat is the right place for a dog.

At the end of our stay the Red Tide hit Anna maria. It was devastating to see the effect of fertilisers washing into the sea and the distruction it caused. having lived so close to the weather, the birds and fish for two weeks and being used to swimming in the middle of shoals to see them lying dead in their thousands on the shore was heartbreaking. Even the turtles and manatees were threatened. The smell was so aweful it caught in your throat. I can only hope that the government stop these fertilisers spoiling this paradise.