Winter trip to Hiiumaa island: crazy, great or sick idea?

Hiiumaa Travel Blog

Beginning of February we decided to go somewhere away from the city. For a day or two. What do normal people do? Go to some spa outside the city, visit family in the country who live in some warm and dry house or at least  take a day trip to Berlin, London, anywhere it is cheap to fly. Well, we decided to wake up at 4 o'clock Saturday morning second of February and drive 100km to the ferry, take an hour and a half ferry ride and then drive around the island. The whole week I was praying for it not to rain. But of course it rained. It was still a great trip, but for me, being a bad writer and a little better photographer, there are not lot of pics to show.

There is just one advise: go to the islands in summer. Because it is absolutely fantastic.

And I felt sorry (as great as the trip was) that it was freezing cold, windy and raining the whole time. All we could do is run out of the car, take a quick picture and run back. Every time we continued driving the rain stopped and every time we wanted get out and see something beautiful it started raining again. and again. and again. And actually the whole island lives in the summer. Everything is closed autumn til end of spring, all lighthouses, all cafes, everything.

But still it is amazing. The water is unbelievable, I couldn't believe I saw something so turquoise here in Estonia. Beaches are very nice (i suppose, in the summer), and one day is enough to see all of it. If you are not planning on spending too much time surfing or swimming.

Next is Saaremaa (can't believe I have never been to the islands here), but I wait for the spring to come first.

parabellum says:
Thanks for this review Anna! I'll need to think it over how can I make it included in my next time's trip across Estonia (I was there 4 years ago and I'm sure there are still tons of places to visit). The ferry departs from the Haapsalu port, am I right?
Posted on: Aug 10, 2008