SIESTA FIESTA!

Madrid Travel Blog

Madrid is probably just as charming and elegant as Paris is.. and suprisingly enough, with better shopping!

Walked around the City centre a bit.. The Placa de Espanol is a rather nice area, and I have found what pomises to be my new favourite stores whilst in Spain - El Corte Ingles, MNG and Zara! Managed to find some very nice red floral Guy Laroche stockings, so YAY and a sexy red handbag from MNG.

The Spaniards are generally more friendly than the French, but also somewhat less elegant and intriguing. It's not that the French are unfriendly.. indeed, I found them to be wonderful if you first communicated to them in French and made an effort to be courteous. I guess the best I can liken it to is when Japanese or Chinese tourists stop me in the street at home and start to yabber away in Japanese or Mandarin thinking that because I look a Asian I must understand what they're trying to say. In reality, I kind of figure that if they can't be bothered to even try to talk in English then I can't be bothered trying to help them. Same thing, ne?

Anyhow, there's this store//resteraunt near our hotel called 'El Museo des Jamon' (which translates to 'The Museum of Hams'). This amuses me to no end.

Anyhow.. today we went to the Prado Museum.. There's some pretty darn brilliant artworks in here too.. Goyas, Titians, El Grecos, Reubens', Velasquez's et al..  And Placa Mayor is lovely. It kind of reminds me of St. Peter's Square in Venice, only less pigeons and tourists..

Siesta time in the city is very quiet. I have a feeling that it's going to become my shopping time..

ienjoybeingagirl says:
I agree -- Madrid has amazing shopping!!! Every time I go there, I buy SO many clothes! I've learned to just pack a few pieces of clothing when I go to Madrid, because I know I'll buy buying more clothes when I get there :)
Posted on: Jul 25, 2007