Sevilla Travel Blog

Ahh! Seville! It's lovely here! We've been here for a few days already and have already visited the cathedral (which supposedly contains the body of Christopher Columbus in one of the tombs).. It's the third largest cathedral in the world and has an Islamic style minaret! We climbed up the 35 floors and it's got such an amazing view of the city.

We've also done the Bullfighting ring//Museum (Museo Taurino).. Interesting, though it's a fairly hideous sport. Only one matador has ever been killed, and in retribution the bull that killed him AND the bull's mother were both slaughtered.. whereas 6 bulls are killed every sunday during the spring and summer for sport. brutal, cruel and completely unneccessary, but interesting nevertheless to understand how it came about. I'm kind of glad we weren't there to watch a fight.. I don't think my stomach could have taken it!

We went to Cordoba yesterday and visited the Mezquita mosque//churchy place.. Basically it's a Gothic church which was partially demolished to build an Islamic mosque within it, and then again in the 16th century a cathedral was built within the mosque becaue the decoration was believed to be too beautiful to demolish again. Very odd, but extraordinarily pretty, and quite a haunting, spiritual feeling place.

Then back in Seville today. Went to the Alcazar (Royal Palace), and while it was very nice, it just couldn't compare to the one in Madrid. Very lovely tiles though..

The latin quarter here is enchanting. It's just so.. inherantly.. Spanish. The tiles, and the signs and the Flamenco shops with the cafes and balconies and pot plants. I just love it!  We've had some really damn good food here too.. The Paella we had this afternoon for lunch was superb and the tapas is amazing too.. I think that's kind of what I love the most about this place.. the nightlife is great.. just to be able to sit down in a tapas bar for a few hours and pick your way through plate after plate of nibblies that you devour whilst watching brawny Spanish men strumming on their guitars in the corner between thumping beats and downing glass after glass of very very strong Liquor 43 and coke. Sooooo damned good!

There are a lot of kissing couples in Seville. Must be a very romantic town.. hmm..

photo by: JP-NED