Last days in Spain..

Madrid Travel Blog

Aw.. I don't really want to go home yet.. :(

After leaving Barcelona we travelled back to Madrid and did a few day trips around the place..

We did Toledo on teh 21st.. It was a very  nice town.. lots of armour and marzapan! V. nice marzapan too.. not like the bollocks we get at home. it's got a very nice mild taste.. we went to the convent to buy some from teh nuns there! :)

We did a city tour and saw the chapel wher one of El Greco's most 'famous' paintings is, depicting the holy brurial of some local dignitary or another..

It started to snow yesterday.. really heavily. So we couldn't do the trip to Avila we had planned.. instead we went to the Musee de Thyssen-Bornemisza, which has some fairly decent art.. Constable, Sergent, Monet, Renoir, Degas, Picasso, Pissarro, Van Gogh, Dali, Miro, Hopper, Delacroix etc.. some pop art amongst avante-guarde and others.. pretty good then shopping.. kind of last minute stuff before we leave.

Managed to pick up two bottles of 43, two bottles of absinthe, some turon and a whole heap of Valor drinking chocolate. As well as some pretty things for friends and myself.. so yay! :) I found a very nice dress from Blanco, which was a bit of a shock as the whole trip i could never find anything that looked half deecent in there!

Today we went to Segovia.. there was a lot of snow, but it made an otherwise bland landscpae very beautiful.. we saw the Alcazar which was used as a model for the Disney Sleeping Beauty Castle, and one of, if not the only, intact sections of Roman aqueduct. It was HUUUUGE!

we also ate a roasted piglet, which is a segovian specialty.. very tasty, but I felt kind of sad for the piglet. It was pretty cute.

but yeah.. when we got back to Madrid in the evening we took a final photograph under Madrid's famous Tio Pepe sign in the Placa de Espanol all lit up.. And we're soon to be preparing for the long trip home.

So adios, gracias dear Espana! Much love, much love, and I'm hoping to be back soon!

Madrid