A little over a year in Poland now...

Warsaw Travel Blog

A year, a month and a day or so in Poland have flown by.  It's amazing.  Winter is not nearly as bad as I had expected it to be. I was prepared for temperatures well below zero, howling winds and ice storms, but it hasn't been like that at all.  Mostly just gray, cloudy, kind of dismal, a little snow now and then which melts rapidly, and that's about it.  Now and then the Sun pops out and it's nearly cause for celebration... :-)   I've written a few reviews and blog entries lately, and taken tons of pictures but my digital organization is completely out of control!  I don't know which folder anything is in!  I need a few days to pull it all together and upload things.

I've been house hunting...  This is definitely an activity that should not be done alone, so I managed to get some friends to come along.  The process is a great way to acquire some additional Polish vocabulary.  I should started looking for a place this the minute I arrived here a year ago because prices have increased significantly since I arrived - although the increases are nothing compared with those between 2001 and 2006.

After sitting in Warsaw traffic a few times (which admittedly in nothing compared with rush hour on the 405 in LA or the traffic I had to get used to in BCN) I took a map and drew a 10 minute walking radius to work and said "That's where I'm going to live!"  And I do... You can't beat the carbon footprint on that.  But I want to change from being a renter to being an owner and the prices in the city center are pretty crazy.

Anyway, winter in Warsaw is nearly over.  It hasn't been bad at all.

sylviandavid says:
I think one day you will walk in a door to look at the house and that will be the one. You will know.
Posted on: Mar 27, 2008
boxinbcn says:
Thanks Sylvia! I'm going to see a few more today after work, but I think I'm going to just have to make up my mind! All of the places are starting to look the same to me! After I posted that it started snowing. We got about three inches yesterday evening.
Posted on: Mar 27, 2008
sylviandavid says:
Our oldest daughter just bought a home in Santa Rosa, CA. Amazing prices to David and I ..... She got a house that was pretty beaten up by renters but with new paint and new flooring it's perfect..... our grand-cat loves it..... Good luck... Hope you find the perfect place.... Glad the winter wasn't as severe as you thought it might be.... sylvia
Posted on: Mar 26, 2008