Rural Poland - A weekend on a farm in Eastern Pomerania

Żuławki Travel Blog

Szkarpawa River - Żuławki

I’ve spent most all of my time in Poland exploring towns and cities without having much chance to see what life is like in the country’s beautiful rural areas.  This weekend I’ll have the chance to spend three days on a farm close to the Baltic coast, seeing how life is there and exploring the surroundings. The town I’ll be staying in is called Źuławki, formerly known as Fürstenwerder when this part of what once was Prussia was inhabited by Germans.  It is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Stegna, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship. It is about 13 kilometers (8 mi) north-west of Nowy Dwór Gdański and 24 km (15 mi) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk.  My friend Michał’s family has a farm there. I’m looking forward to the opportunity to see this farm and how life is there.  I’ll also get a brief lesson in beekeeping and raising pigs!

We got up pretty early and were on the road before 9 and finally reached Źuławki around lunchtime.  The drive was pretty uneventful, much less traffic than I had expected and the countryside was mostly green farmland and patches of forest.  When we entered Źuławki I was impressed by some enormous old homes made of brick and wood. They were built by Mennonites who settled here in the 1800s.  The old brick building look as sturdy today as ever.  We drove through through this town, past a large pond, more old homes, a church in the middle of a graveyard and a pond with ducks and a pair of swans.  Finally, as we reached the Szkarpawa River we reached the farm.  Lunch was already waiting for us:  tomato soup, roast pork, potatoes, sauerkraut, pickled cucumbers and pickled peppers.  This is probably the first meal that I’ve ever had where nothing came from a store.  Everything was grown and prepared right there and it all was really good.

After lunch we took a look around.  There are about a dozen beehives, fruit trees, fields with potatoes and other vegetables and a greenhouse with tomatoes.  Also pigs (very noisy and not very friendly little creatures), some beautiful turkeys... Plenty to see.  Including an underground cellar for storing food and plenty of cats to keep pests like mice and rats away.  On the river there is plenty of fishing too. People were pulling out a kind of fish called Płoc.  I’m not sure what they are called in English (or if I even got the Polish spelling right) but they’re a broad, silver colored fish with big scales.  After a look around we got in the car and decided to explore Mierzeja Wiślana.

Szkarpawa River -  Żuławki