Marathon one-day trip from Warsaw to Gdansk and Sopot!

Gdansk Travel Blog

Small mill - Gdansk

I had been away from Barcelona and the sea for a couple months and wanted to see the water - maybe even get my feet wet - no matter how cold the water is!  The idea was to either go to Kraków or Gdansk and Sopot so, my friends Bob, Ana, Michal and I decided to head north and spend a day by the sea in Gdansk and Sopot.  My friend Jen from Polish class came along too.  Unfortunately we only had one day to do this in!

It's a long distance for one day, but we wanted to check these places out, and Bob and Ana will be going back to Spain soon, so it's either now, or who knows when...   Gdansk is Poland´s main seaport and Sopot is a resort town on the Baltic Sea in Poland. Together with Gdynia they form the tri-city area which is one of the most important economic and cultural areas in Poland.

The train trip to Gdansk lasted for nearly five hours, but we got up very early, left on the earliest train we could find and were there before noon.  Actually, the trip shouldn't really take so long, the train was incredibly slow.  I think that once some of the tracks are replaced it will be quicker.  We spent the whole morning wandering around the city, seeing some amazing sights.  After exploring Gdansk, we took a train to Sopot - about a 15 minute trip.

festerwretch says:
I might (hopefully) be heading to Gdansk/Sopot next weekend with some people from my program. I've never been in the north of Poland (well, except on an overnight bus from Lithuania, I don't think that counts).
Posted on: Nov 07, 2007
Neptune - Gdansk
Neptune - Gdansk
Gdansk Cathedral
Gdansk Cathedral
Gdansk Canal
Gdansk Canal
Shipyard monument - Gdansk. Where …
Shipyard monument - Gdansk. Where…
Gdansk