Haircut for Charity

Columbus Travel Blog

Before.
*sigh* I really don't like the first picture. But it gets the point across. I had my hair cut for Locks of Love. LoL is a charity that makes real-hair wigs for kids that lose their hair due to cancer treatment or other childhood maladies. The minimum length of hair that can be donated is 10 inches. That's a lot! I had to grow out my hair for quite a while to get that. I've donated blood many times before (the Red Cross loves me - I'm O negative), but this was a first. I was really nervous beforehand. I just wasn't sure what my hair was going to look like afterward, and I was afraid I'd hate it. I went to the Aveda Clinic, which I've liked for haircuts in the past. It's a training institution - all the work is done by students, with instructors consulting beforehand and checking the work afterward, as well. I brought a printout from the Locks of Love website with instructions, and explained my trepidation about short hair. My stylist and the instructor were both really great. When all was said and done, my hair was longer than I had expected, but still too short for a ponytail (my primary hairstyle at work : P). It was more like a bunny tail. :o)

I've since heard negative things about Locks of Love, and if I were to donate again, I'd go with Wigs for Kids. I'm glad I did it, though. It's definitely a good feeling. And I was surprised to learn that I rather like my hair short!
After.