The Motherland

Barcelona Travel Blog

My most enjoyable visit in Europe was in Spain. I guess its because I could actually speak the language and because the sites reminded me of what older parts of Puerto Rico look like (ie Old San Juan). Its almost nostalgic in a sense..... From what I understand my great grandfather was originally from Barcelona... Unfortunately noone in the family has ever bothered to follow the family tree, so the only ties we have are current immediate family in PR or NY... It would have been crazy to knock on some strangers door in Barcelona and be like cousin....lol.

Anyway, I enjoyed myself thoroughly despite finding that long lost rich cousin. I booked the flight from Germany to Spain through Ryan Air (what a God send of a company) and the ticket cost me $30 Euros after all was said and done.

.. I paid about that for dinner in Germany, so you know I was super hyped. Dont expect much from a service standpoint, because this is not that type of airliner. Its bare bones, which some people dont understand.... Hello your paying dirt cheap prices to fly...what more do you want. There are no seat assignments, so you need to be quick on your feet to get in front of the line to board and boogie to the plane to catch a good seat. No free food on the plane, but theyll sell you a sandwich or a drink. Oh and another important thing is that some of the airports are pretty far from the city you intend to visit, so youll need to take the airport bus into the city....so budget for that expense as well. I would recommend checking the airports web site to see what transportation services they offer and staying away from really late flights, because you may get stuck with lodging at an airport hotel until you can make your way into the area you originally intend to go to.
We landed in Girona Airport, which was like 1.5 - 2 hours away from Barcelona.... trooped in on the Bus ($17 Euros for a two way tix) and made it to the hotel in time to have lunch on las Ramblas.

The hotel we booked was recommended by Rick Steves and was pretty good... Its called Hotel Atlantis. Its not too far from las Ramblas, which is the main strip where all the action goes down. I think it was a good location unless you plan on spending your time at the beach all day. Not a bad idea!! I think I paid about $105 euros a nite for a double bed. The rooms were clean and the service was friendly. They have Euro breakfast as well, which is usually hard boiled eggs, cold cuts, cheese, bread, juice, coffee, and a few other things. The person who I dealt with when booking the room was nice enough to throw breakfast in for free, because of a small confusion that was made while booking.

Hey never hurts to ask if they would throw it in for free.... I think it also helped that I traveled in what they consider off season (August).

Las Ramblas was where I spent most of my time. Its a strip that leads down to the ocean. At the very end is the Colombus monument pointing to America. Its also where you can pick up the ferry and bus for tours. Well along the strip are tons of performers wearing original costumes that many made themselves. They pose with you for some change that you can toss in a bucket. I wondered who the first genious was who thought of this and why soooo many people followed his lead. For all I know this dude can be sitting pretty in some mansion because of the loose change that tourists through in his can for a pic. You will also see people selling birds and other little animals on the strip.

La Sagrada Familia
Apparently its a good business because there is more than one person doing it. This place is like nothing you will see anywhere else. Its 24/7 too, because Barcelona has a good nightlife.

I didnt visit any museums while here but I did pass by La Sagrada Familia, which is the most eloborate church I have ever seen in all of Europe (at least the facade is). What I did was rent a bike for like $10 Euro (for 4 hrs)....then I rode around to the beach and over to the church to take pics. It was great, but if your scared of riding bike in traffic I would not recommend you do it. Sissy....lol. The beach was amazing. In American the only beach we have that compares to Europe is South Beach in Miami, so I was like a kid in a candy store when I saw all of those topless women and thongs! I didnt make it obvious though.

..lmao.

The food in Spain was great too. They are big on sea food, tapas, and sangria. I also loved the market that they have near Las Ramblas.... tons of food and fruits that they give you a spoon to eat right there..mmm. I definitely want to go back, but this time Im going to search for that long lost cousin so I can lodge in a mansion instead of a hotel....hahahaaha. Enjoy the pics.

The Market Entrance