Even the heavy rain couldn't dampen the experience

Prague Travel Blog

Prague

After some lucky weather the day before, Monday in Prague saw the heavens open to provide us with some interesting challenges to our sightseeing schedule. Despite the dreary weather, however, Shea and I (not quite as hungover as the others) headed out early to see the Natioanle Nenderlanden building with its birds nest-type roof decoration. Pretty neat actually. And even better was that we came across some great Art Nouveau buildings along the riverside walk we took. I'm always up for a bit of architectural spotting, so that was a real treat.

From there we made a bee line for the funicular to Petrin Hill and some great views of the city before the rain really started to fall. Well worth it for the vistas but it would have been nice to have had more time to explore the park at the top.

Prague
As it was, we were pushing our luck if we wanted to make it back to King Wenceslas Square for a walking tour of the Jewish Quarter... something we had arranged to meet Kate and Devon for. So we hightailed it back as fast as we could, not quite realising how large the Square would be and how long it would take to get to the meeting point at the top. We got there in the end though and started off on a lovely little guided tour of one of Prague's oldest areas.

The Jewish Quarter itself, we were told, and its former incarnation as a ghetto no longer remained in the form it had once taken, but there were reminders of how it had been, including a tiled Golem in the pavement (look up this fascinating Jewish legend), synagogues and a Jewish cemetary. I had also never seen so many Jewish visitors to one place as in Prague.

Shea in Prague
A rich and varied history that was well worth the time, even though we were pretty soggy by the end of it. I was also excited to see some monuments to writer Franz Kafka, whose books I have read.

Thus ended the main element of my sightseeing adventures in Prague as the rest of my two days were given over to being a bridesmaid for my friend's wedding. And I might add at this juncture that Prague was a wonderful place for her to get married. She had the ceremony at the old Town Hall right next to the Astrological Clock, which was just delightful and made the trip to the Czech Republic all the more memorable.

So... what did I think of Prague overall? What a beautiful city! But then, everyone says that, right? It's true though. The buildings are all pristine, the locals are friendly, and it is a pleasure to walk around soaking up the sights. It's just the masses of tourists that drive you a bit nuts... much like how it must be when visitors come to London...

More beautiful buildings in Prague
Jewish cemetary
Hebrew clock
Hebrew clock
Prague
The pendulum installation art that…
The pendulum installation art tha…
A Franz Kafka memorial statue