Finally...

Santa Monica Travel Blog

My room's view at the Bayside Hotel
...not going to SF!

Contrary to what I had planned, I could not go to SF anymore, mainly because I had so little time to get ready. So I decided to discover L.A. instead, which happened to be a great idea!

After surfing the web for an available room for the same day, I booked one at Bayside Hotel, a very nice motel with ocean view, conveniently located. This was the sinequa non condition of my escape to L.A. I was planning to meet up with people I ran into at the conference, and I needed some other option in case my plans would fail. The beach was a great one, and even if everything went right, I still had time to enjoy it!

Really, Santa Monica beach is marvelous. It is so wide and the sun is so hot that you'll burn your feet by the time you get your feet in the water.
Santa Monica palm trees
Waves are very different from SD, slowly rising, coming from further away from the shore, but also stronger, even if not bigger. You can have fun just by walking along the beach, towards Venice or up north, looking at people jogging, skate, cycling... Again some real action, just like at Mission Beach, but bigger, better, stronger ;)

And how did I get here? Well, after mixing up Old Town and the regular train station of SD, I thought bus rides would be more frequent than train ones, and opted for bus. It was interesting... I mean cheap, not that long (don't believe the time schedule though), but com'on! Arriving downtown L.A. is a nightmare when you have to get your a** to the beach. I surely did not get the best bus route advice. Two buses and 2h later I was seeing the ocean. And trust me, you don't really want to stay in downtown L.A.

I met very friendly people in the bus, so that was ok. French people from Alps touring California as well, mexican people I could talk spanish with, and an old couple who where very kind and asked us about France. That's the good part of traveling I guess!
My rooms view at the Bayside Hotel