Getting cultural

Amsterdam Travel Blog

After the Red Light district of last night Dom and I decided to get our cultural fix and visit the Rijksmuseum. Was pretty good. A lot on dutch history which I´d didn´t know much about. Highlight was seeing some of Vermeer´s works and Rembrandt´s ´Night Watch´.

Next we joined up with the not-so-cutural others for the free walking tour. We walked around the whole city and found out some interesting stuff like Marajuana is actually illegal in the Netherlands but nobody has been prosecuted in over 30 years. Turns out the dutch have a really low rate of drugs and guess who has the highest marajuana use? Yep, the kiwis. What else is there to do there really?

Decided to have an early one because we all had to be up early the next morning to go our separate ways.

The next morning we said goodbye to Amsterdam which overall hadn´t been as good as expected. Pretty dirty and tacky in some ways but it was an experience. Nearly missed the bus and had to jog down the road with our packs which woke us up quite considerably. I do recommend for anyone who isn´t a morning person - like Trace.

Amsterdam