Day 7- The Red Light District

Paris Travel Blog

The Grand Arch

My last day in Paris didn't start off as I thought it would.  I was hung over, having kidney pains, tired, annoyed and apparently poor.  After breakfast we went to Fragonard's  a French perfumery and museum. It was not my tste of entertainment but it was something Contiki set up so we all went.  It was, however, completely voluntary.  At the end they handed out sample wands for us to smell.  Dan & I took the liberty of collecting them from everyone around us and storing them in Elle's belt loop.  It was so funny!

Here is where the first problem occured.  There was a Metro nearby but at this particular station you couldn't purchase Metro tickets.

Samuel and I at the Grand Arch
  We had to search for another metro stop.  Thanks to Elle's fantastic French we finally found the Metro.  We stopped at a nearby ATM just before locating the station and I was unable to withdrawl money.  I was stranded and broke. At the station Steve bought my pass for me.  He is such an awesome guy.

We navigated our way over to our first destination, the Grand Arch.  We also made it to the Arc de Triomphe and strolled the Champs Elyese.  A majority of our subgroup went off to the Catacombs but Pedro and I wandered the Champs Elysees instead.  I needed to get back to the hotel to make some phone calls to see what was up with my money and Pedro wanted to get some sleep.

I got  back and called the parents.

Me and Elle at the Arc de Triomphe
  They did some investigating and it turns out my paycheck hadn't been deposited yet.  They threw some money in my account and I was back in business.  After that got situated I wandered the streets of Paris by myself before getting ready to head to the Moulin Rouge.

The Moulin Rouge was pretty cool.  Dinner was amazing and the show was just was alright.  There is a review following this blog.  Afterwards we went to a bar next door called Sullivans.  We all crammed into a sitting area with drinks in our hands. When we got there the place was pretty dead.  By the time we left, the party was jumpin'.  The people around me talked me into dancing on the tables...it didn't take much.  Dancing on tables is kind of my thing.  Once that was out of the way others hopped up on the tables and bench and we all danced.  I guess the French aren't really used to our style of dancing because they all looked at us very intrigued.  A man with a business card and a professional camera approached me about putting me on his website.  When they finally opened up the dance floor we went down and several onlookers had video cameras.  Ah, the life of Contiki.

At the end of the night I was very sad that this was it for me, but at the same time it was an awesome way to close the tour.

Miles Traveled:  3.5 by foot
Sights Seen:  Grand Arch, Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Moulin Rouge
Expenditures:

Greg, me, Sarah and Isaac
Greg, me, Sarah and Isaac
Paris Sights & Attractions review
My last evening in Paris was spent paying a visit to the Moulin Rouge. There were more French people at the traditional cabaret than I expected, and … read entire review
Paris