Day 5 -

Calais Travel Blog

Snow in Normandy

After conquering the rough English Channel we finally made it to France. We had to go through customs where we got our passports stamped. I was pretty excited about this because the last time I came to France I never got a stamp. I said "au revoir" to the customs guy and loaded back onto the bus. We still had a wee bit of a drive from Calais to Paris and I had already taken a short nap so I stayed awake to enjoy the French countryside. The scenery was quite lovely but after awhile I got bored. I brought along an inflatable pillow and decided to play Volleyball with it on the back of the bus. Initially it was just Adam and I hitting the pillow back and forth but after several others got bopped in the head with it they joined it. I'm telling you, we know how to have fun. This quickly became the game of choice when we were on the bus.

We stopped for lunch in a small town just off the highway. Most of the patrons were English and it appeared that the workers only spoke French. Then again, you know how the French are. I ordered the only things on the menu I could pronounce eau (water) and poulet (chicken) after much hesitation. I don't know why I was so nervous about speaking up in French, aside from the fact that the last time I was in Paris I got made fun of for my terrible French...but at least I tried.

On the bus