Day 3- Sticks and Stones

Bath Travel Blog

Stonehenge
After a restless nights sleep my phone rang at 6:59 for my wake up call.  I've adjusted quite well to the new time zone.  So far it hasn't affected me and I have had 0 jet lag.  Last time  I flew to Europe I had terrible jet lag.  I felt awful.  Every once in awhile I feel the ground trembling as a result of the turbulence on the plane.

I slept an additional 15 minutes before I got up to get ready.  I dressed in yesterdays socks, pants and shirt and a sweater I had in my day bag for the flight.  Looking at me you could never tell I didn't have any luggage.  When Elle found out she was amazed at how happy I was despite everything.

I went down to the first floor for my English Breakfast.  I had Rice Krispies, a dinner roll and orange juice :).

Bath Abbey+
  I stashed a roll in my backpack and hurried downstairs to meet up with the group for the excursions.  Everyone signed up and all but Pedro went with us.  He had to go to the Brazilian Embassy to work out some kinks.

The ride to Stonehenge was around 2 hours.  I spent most of the time watching the scenery out the window or talking with Angie.  When we got to Stonehenge we were told we had one full hour to spend at the monument.  However, the wind was wickedly fierce and tore through our clothing.  The bulk of us spent only 20 minutes outside before seeking shelter in the gift shop.   I picked up a print and a postcard, waited until my body heat stabilized before going outside to the picnic tables for a chat.

Pultney Bridge

Next we were off to Bath.  On the way there Michael saw I was reading up on Bath in my guide book.  He asked to have a look and then relayed much of the information to the group.  Who would have thought I'd be helping out the tour guide?  This has to be England's most beautiful town.  It was amazing.  Our bus pulled right behind the Bath Abbey and we had 30 minutes before our Roman Bath tour commenced.  Many of us ventured off to the Circus, Pultney Bridge, and Jane Austen's House (which is now a doctor's office).  Our group returned to the Baths 10 minutes late.  Michael had to "talk the manager into letting us in."  Many of us think he made this story up to make us feel bad and teach us a lesson about being punctual.

The Roman Baths

At the baths you are given a phone like object.  At most displays there is a two digit number you dial in and then hit play and you are delivered with info as well as sound effects.  Adam, Aaron, Elle, Angie and I went for ice-cream at a nearby shop before going into the Bath Abbey.  It was brilliant.  Growing up my friends and I played the Penis game where you start off by whispering the word penis and gradually get louder and louder until eventually you scream it.  For some reason I had the urge to start off this game.  Luckily I remembered I was in a church and kept the thought to myself.

It was almost time to meet back up with Michael and the group so we headed back to the square.  We beat everyone, even Michael.

Me at the Baths
  I took the opportunity to call my mom while the bells chimed in the background.  I needed her to call American Airlines and  check on my baggage.  They said it would be back to me by this evening.  It arrived in London at 9am today and it would take up to 6 hours for it to get to me.  We should soon see.

We left Bath at 3:30 and had a quite rainy ride home.  Traffic coming into London was horrendous due to a traffic accident.  We didn't get into London until 7:20.  I made plans to have dinner with Angie and agreed to meet her at 7:20.  By 7:40 she still hadn't showed so I went off with quite a large group of people to a pub called Shakespeare's Head.

Bath Abbey
  We split up amongst the pub.  At our tables there were paper menus with the meal options.  For £6.99 you could get either Beef Roast, Chicken Roast or some other dish served with mashed potatoes, potatoes, stuffing balls, peas, carrots, broccoli, Yorkshire pudding as well as a beer, soda or Smirnoff and a mixer.  I had the chicken with a Screwdriver (OJ and Smirnoff, my staple traveling drink), it was delicious and what a deal!  I sat with Pedro, Elle, Greg and someone else.  We sat around talking and drinking until 11.  Yet again Greg and I were the last ones out.  This hasn't been the party bunch I expected.

Miles Walked: 3.30 miles
Sights Seen:  Harrods, Bath Abbey, The Circus, Pultney Bridge, Jane Austen's Home, Stonehenge
Expenditures:  .50 for Stonehenge postcard  £3.99 for a 16.5 x 11.75 print,  £ .75 for water, £1.50 ice cream, £2.99 for 30 tea bags, £0.70 for 2 post cards and £1.50 for a key chain, £6.99 dinner, £3.50 Screwdriver, £0.50 for Cadbury candy bar.

rotorhead85 says:
Nice read!
Posted on: Mar 17, 2011
ErinPatty says:
Wow, I love this journal and your pictures. They are amazing.
Posted on: Oct 19, 2007
eurowestgirl says:
You're a terrific photographer!
Posted on: Oct 07, 2007
A stain glass window at Bath Abbey
A stain glass window at Bath Abbey
The Circus
The Circus
A look at Stonehenge
Bath Sights & Attractions review
The mystery of the origins of this prehistoric monument is what brings thousands of people from all over the world to Stonehenge. Tucked away in the … read entire review
Bath Sights & Attractions review
Words cannot express the beauty that is Bath, England. Each year there is a competition within the country to find the most beautiful town, Bath is n… read entire review
Bath