Benja: The end...

London Travel Blog

Part one of a mad trip across India in Autorickshaws. Warning: contains nudity, bad language, violence, crashes, reckless driving, terrible camera work and moonfish

Well, two months later and we’re back in the UK to what seems like normal life. Thank you to everyone who sponsored us, and you’ll be glad to know we raised in excess of £2500 for Wateraid, as well as a considerable amount for the schools we visited too. We honestly can’t thank you enough, however as a bit of a token of our appreciation I’ve put together a video (in two parts) of the trip to give you more of a feel of the utter carnage that it was. I have to warn you, there is nudity, bad language, violence, crashes, reckless driving, terrible camera work and moonfish. The rest isn’t really worth watching. You can find it on this page or take a look at:

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00l5Ot9WB_E

Part 2 http://www.

Part two of a mad trip across India in Autorickshaws. Warning: contains nudity, bad language, violence, crashes, reckless driv Part one of a mad trip across India in Autorickshaws.
youtube.com/v/49OF6WM2fpQ

[You’ll need headphones or speakers!]

So what was it really like? Well, the experience was amazing. We saw parts of India which you would never see on a typical holiday. We were all bowled over by the warmth and friendliness of the Indian people across the country. The one exception was when an MP got in the crossfire of an inter-rickshaw tomato fight through downtown Mumbai and decided to vent his spleen at Mags. Understandable though.

The final few miles were pretty frantic, trying to stay in convoy across downtown Mumbai during rush hour, and you reach a point where you have to throw your western driving etiquette out the window and drive like you have a death-wish. When we eventually made it the atmosphere was amazing. TV cameras everywhere, journos running round trying to collar you and all everyone really wanted to do was grab a cold beer. In hindsight, I should really have paid little more attention to my answers to questions, when I was quoted on page 3 of the Mumbai times the next day endorsing drink driving. Which wasn’t actually what I said.

Anyway, it was nice to check into a properly flash hotel, be within 30 seconds of a high quality toilet at all times, and eat food that wasn’t necessarily curry. Don’t get me wrong, I do love a curry as much as, if not more than the next man, but for 3 meals a day for 2 and a half weeks you do start to get a little tired of it.

Its hard to sum up the whole thing, but we met some amazing people, saw an amazing country in a very unconventional way and had a blast. It wasn’t easy, it was dangerous, and that only one person was hospitalised is frankly remarkable. You’d never call it a holiday, but it was definitely an experience. Take a look at the videos and you should get more of an idea.

If it’s something you fancy, then take a peak at www.extremetrifle.com , run by one of the competitors. There is another rally planned for early next year (not in monsoon season this time), and lots of other equally stupid trips. There’s also another video at http://www.extremetrifle.com/3/monsoon_madness_video.php which is a lot more professionally filmed an edited.

And next year? Well, lets just say the disoriented express is looking good (http://www.extremetrifle.com/2/disoriented_express.php).

Thanks again,

Benja, Mags, Fran, Greg, Matt, Dave, Brad & Shareen

Part one of a mad trip across Ind…
Part two of a mad trip across Ind…
22,793 km (14,163 miles) traveled