Sing it England, I'm back!

Heathrow Travel Blog

PROLOGUE

Another year, and two more trips, as has been going on for literally the last decade. And with every trip, I feel so fortunate that I'm able to come back to the UK again and again. So before we get into the details, the big question was WHERE to this time. I didn't want to spend my entire week in London (not that we don't love London!) but pick another area where I'd spend 3-4 days and then move on to London before flying back home.

Isle of Wight is an area I'd always toyed with after getting a one-day taster eight years ago. And I started planning around that but for some reason, that plan fell through. Either there was no hostel availability or the places I wanted to visit weren't very well connected with public transport in May, etc. that the deeper I got with planning, the harder it seemed to come to fruition. And hence began the hunt for another spot....

Open the latest edition of Lonely Planet England guide, and you got your answer there on page 9 - "castle spotting in Northumberland" as they put it. Dig in more I did, and uncovered quite a whole lot of things to do, the proximity to Durham was an added advantage as well as direct flights to Newcastle Upon Tyne which we'd use as our base. Save for the restricted (but regular) bus service, nothing seemed like it would put a spanner in the works. So off I was planning the trip, making reservations at the Albatross Backpackers Inn and looking up bus timings to the various castles...

And there came D-day. The flight from Heathrow was on time, a really short flight and it almost felt like we landed before we even took off. But the scenery was amazingly British-ly picturesque and no shortage of photo ops... and before we knew it, we were in Newcastle's International Airport!

YantiSoeparno says:
Wow, another featured blog by Vikram. Congrats, dear!
Posted on: Jun 14, 2014
Ils1976 says:
I missed out on the feature, but congrats anyway Vikram! :D
Posted on: Jun 11, 2014
Vikram says:
Thanks everyone for the wishes. Yes Helen, more next time I'm there!
Posted on: Jun 09, 2014