Southern Ontario

Toronto Travel Blog

In 2005 my travels took me to Canada. I had befriended some Canadian folk and took them up on the invitation to visit their country. I was based near Toronto and had a look around the city and surrounding area down to Niagara Falls.

I like the outdoors and nature so I was nice to be based out of the city on the edge of the Niagara Escarpment. If you love nature it’s a great place to be, The Escarpment runs from New York State right through Ontario and back into Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. It’s a biosphere reserve so it will always remain relatively untouched other than by the hand. You can hike it and camp in designated areas. I went hiking here a few day along the Bruce trail. The Bruce trial runs the length of the Escarpment in Ontario, about 800Km.

There are numerous conservation parks in the area too. I managed to take in two, Crawford Lakes and Rattlesnake Point.  Crawford Lake near Campbellville, is beautiful. The lake itself is meromeictic ( a meromeictic lake has layers of water which no not intermix) which has allowed archaeologists to drill core samples of pollen dating back hundreds of years to learn about the agricultural history of the native Iroquois Indians. A Wendat village has been painstakingly reconstructed in the conservation area based on many years of work by archaeologists.

Rattlesnake Point is a popular destination for hikers, backpackers, cyclists, rock climbers and nature-lovers in the Greater Toronto Area.

The park's ten kilometres of cliff edge and forest trails connect with the Bruce Trail and Crawford Lake. The conservation area also has facilities for organized and family camping with 18 group campsites. Rattlesnake Point receives its name from the snake-like path cut by glaciers along the edges of the Niagara Escarpment, rather than from the timber rattlesnake, which formerly lived along the escarpment but have not been seen in Ontario for many years. The day I was there the park was quite and I could smell burning and hear crackling but couldn’t see a fire. After about 30 minutes I found it at the base of one of the cliffs. I was looking down on it. Thankfully I had my cellphone with me. It was fun me calling the fire department not being from the area trying to explain where the fire was. I was lucky I had my Canadian friends with me for company and they could explain more clearly. After we left the park we went in search of the fire from the base. When we found it the fire tenders were already on the scene.

I also went to a safari park.

I like animals. I’m not sure how I feel about such parks. I love seeing the animals up close like that part of me also feels for them not being in there natural habitat. I caught a baseball games. The blue Jays won easily. Apparently they were on a losing streak until the night I went. The locals beside me at the game were saying I should come more often. I think they considered me a lucky charm. Maybe it’s an Irish thing, the luck of the Irish and all that.

The CN Tower offer great views over the lake and the city. The glass floor is total worth walking on and looking through.

I made my way to Niagara Falls. I have to admit I wasn’t overly impressed with the town itself.

It’s very tacky and aimed totally at the tourist. However the falls themselves are amazing. Totally worth the visit. I could stand for hours looking at them from different angles and still be amazed. At night when the light them in the diffent colors, they are beautiful. One thing the struck me on my trip from Toronto to Niagara was the amount of Vineyards. I never realized until I was there that there was any vine industry in Canada. I’m not a wine drinking but apparently it’s good stuff.

Canada is massive. I only touched the tip of the iceberg with the little I saw of it. It’s an amazingly scenic country and I hope to get back one day to see more of it out west and further north.

CN Tower
Turtle in Crawford Lake
Turtle in Crawford Lake
Quarry
Quarry
Inside the falls. The noise is unr…
Inside the falls. The noise is un…