Finding Lincoln Park on Lincoln's Birthday

Washington Travel Blog

Thursday, February 12 was Abraham Lincoln’s 200th Birthday. Much was going on in Washington to celebrate the Lincoln Bicentennial: commemorative programs at the Lincoln Memorial, Ford’s Theatre, and the National Archives and a new Lincoln exhibit set to open at the Library of Congress that evening. I’d seen the traveling “Abraham Lincoln: Self-made in America” exhibit on its stop in Springfield, VA, the previous weekend (see my Virginia blog). Today, I wanted to do something different. So, I ventured over to the eastern side of Capitol Hill to see Lincoln Park. Lincoln Park is twelve blocks from the Capitol and was a site I’d never visited. It’s most famous for the Emancipation Memorial, the first memorial erected to Lincoln in Washington. It’s a controversial statue today (see my review). Also here is the Mary McLeod Bethune Memorial, commemorating a 20th century African-American educator.

The weather was sunny and bright and the temperature nice for mid-February. Of course, I took photos around the park (albeit the foliage would be greener in spring or summer). Few people were there. Only one other individual was present to take a photo of the Lincoln statue and she wondered why I had not gone to Ford’s Theatre. But this visit was doable at noontime and the walk there and back a good exercise. And, I’d seen a new memorial to add to my list.

Washington Sights & Attractions review
Memorials in Lincoln Park
Lincoln Park is a public park on the far eastern end of Capitol Hill. The urban greenspace was a part of Pierre L’Enfant’s 1791 plan for Washingto… read entire review
Washington