Nahir, JU and Mom
The City of Ponce is a municipality of Puerto Rico located in the Southern Coastal Plain region of the island, south of Adjuntas, Utuado and Jayuya; east of Peñuelas; and west of Juana Díaz. It has a total of 19 wards, including the historic Ponce Pueblo (the downtown area of the city).
Ponce, the second largest city in Puerto Rico outside of the San Juan metropolitan area, is named after Juan Ponce de León y Loayza, the grandson of Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce de León. It is located a few miles from the Caribbean coastline of the island. Ponce is often referred to as La Perla del Sur (The Pearl of the South) and La Ciudad Señorial de Puerto Rico (Majestic city of Puerto Rico).
The PR Group
Ponce, nicknamed Ciudad de los leones (City of the Lions) after Ponce de León, Ponce is also called "La Perla del Sur" (The Pearl of the South), has one of Puerto Rico's richest histories, dating back to the 17th century.
In 1692 Juan Ponce de León y Loayza (Juan Ponce de León's great-grandson) obtained a royal permit (cédula real) to formalize the founding of a hamlet around what was a small chapel at the time, raised and dedicated in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe. The hamlet was declared a villa in 1848, and obtained its city charter in 1877.
A strong influx of immigrants from Catalonia, the Balearic Islands and other regions of eastern Spain, as well as from the United Kingdom, Germany and France, as well as wealthy Spaniards who fled from the independence revolts in Cuba, Colombia and Venezuela assured the city's progress. Some of these immigrants made considerable fortunes in coffee, corn and sugar cane harvesting, rum production, banking and finance, the importing of industrial machinery, iron foundries and other enterprises. At a given time during the late 19th century, Ponce had more inhabitants and its many financial institutions were better capitalized than those of Puerto Rico's capital city, San Juan.