For those from Madrid who love the sea...

El Atazar Travel Blog

I am a seaman! It is not that I dedicate my life to fishing, it is just that I love to live near the sea! ;) My whole life is happened next to the sea and enjoying every bito f it; Barcelona,  Sitges, Hastings, Boston, Canary Islands… but a year and a half ago I got a good opportunity to manage a software company in Madrid. It took me days to decide what to do as Madrid was in the center of Spain, 500kms away from the sea… My God! Would I be able to cope with that?...

Anyhow, I moved to Madrid knowing that I would have a hard time to get used to it. At least I know I had Retiro´s big pond 5 minutes away. So everytime I missed the sea I could walk to this pond, sat down next to it and have a beer thinking I was overlooking the Mediterranium sea!

Well hours, days and months passed by, and the Retiro´s pond was not solving my “sea problem”. But then, a friend of mine recommended me to go to “El pantano de Atazar”, a big reservoir 67 kms from Madrid.

I saw the Light! Amazing place that made me feel I was at home!
I am attaching pictures of it, so if you live in Madrid and you suffer from the same “disease”… you have the solution! ;)

anjok says:
Oh, it is so beautiful. I understand you problem with deciding to go to Madrid, I had to make the same choice, not this life-changing but still... My friend had to go there to meet her boyfriend and I had a choice of either staying alone in Valencia which i adore or going to Madrid, the city i heard very different stories about. Not the best ones. And it didn't have sea!!! I didn't go to this place and didn't enjoy retiro pond very much, but I loved the city just as it is. it was such a big surprise, but it has something about it. Hope you understand )))
Posted on: Jul 24, 2007
El Atazar Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Este es el restaurante más impresionante que he visto a los alrededores de Madrid. Sus especialidades son el arroz con bogavante, pescado, cochinillo… read entire review