First Night in Indonesia

Surabaya Travel Blog

Plenty of Motorcycles found in Surabaya

I spoke with a couple people on the airplane, while heading to Indo. The first spoke english fairly well. the second, did not speak at all.  I didn't speak indonesian. So i attempted to write different phrases in indonesian to this person, and then see if i could translate it on the fly. it was very challenging.

Even the airplane food was now indonesian. It was this really tasty rice, compact and held with banana leaves.  Departing from the airplane,  it took about an hour to get through the visa line, I had to pay $25 to enter in the country for less than 30 days.

Getting off the plane, I felt like i was definitely in a new part of town. There were tons of bats flying in the night sky, and I was welcomed by Guntur and his family in Surabaya, Indonesia. It was my first night in Indonesia.  Unfortunately for us, the car didn't work.

for those who don't know, Surabaya is in the eastern part of Java. Guntur conveniently had a home there, so I was able to have a nice place to sleep. We got to eat these delicious donuts, and stay in air conditioned housing, so it was great.  Gunturs home was in this gated community, and these houses were just like some of the la jolla mansions. Of course the scenery was not as well-kept as that of la jolla, but it was surprising to find these large homes.

The next morning, we were then off to take a plane to Lombok, an island famous for world class scuba diving, the best in Indonesia.
Plenty of Motorcycles found in Su…
photo by: westwind57