First impression: Thessaloniki

Thessaloniki Travel Blog

Statue of Alexander the Great

Outstanding natural beauty, the sea water reflecting the blue sky, yellow sand, white houses with blue roofs and sounds of Zorba just around the corner. Yes, Greece tempts you with them. Greece is famous of them. But this is not the Greece I’m going to write about. The country which was one of the first places civilization took hold in Europe and is therefore the birthplace of many things we are familiar with today, including the Olympic Games, philosophy, democracy, literature and drama, also has a grey and a concrete face.

Thessaloniki is the second largest city in Greece after Athens, and the capital city of the region of Central Macedonia. The city was founded by the King Cassander of Macedonia. He named it after his wife Thessalonike.

City itself
When I was exploring I found it uninteresting. I haven’t founded many interesting things there, nothing that could stick in my mind for longer. However let’s try to craft something from memories (and photos) that I have.

The White Tower is one half of the famous objects there. It is a symbol of the city, however is unfortunately not famous enough to became one of the symbols of Greece. It is both a monument and a museum in one, nestled on the waterfront of Thessaloniki. The tower is a defensive structure dating back to the 15th century. Later it was used as a guard’s quarters, and then as a prison for those who were convicted to death. I remember that our guide gave us two hours to explore the city by ourselves. He asked us to meet him near The White Tower, however we could not find any white tower and needed to ask policemen.

Statue of Alexander the Great
The funny thing was that we were just right under it. So don’t let it fool you, the White Tower is not white, it is in-fact grey.

One of the most besieged touristic objects in the city is the Statue of Alexander the Great at the shoreline. He is the one whose conquests spread Greek civilization eastward as far as India. Alexander lives in the heart of Hellenes till now, he is considered to be the best of Greeks, a phenomenon, the greatest of all military geniuses in history and the most famous person ever born.

Apart from recognized UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Greece, Thessaloniki features a large two-terraced roman forum dug up by accident in 1960s. The forum complex also boasts two roman baths, one of them has been excavated while the other is still buried underneath the city.

Thessaloniki is just a big city with narrow streets and old defensive walls. It represents the unknown face of Greece.

walterman9999 says:
Congrats Emilia on your featured blog, well done.
Vikram says:
Ems, you're back with a bang in 2017! God bless with many more such colourful adventures.
simsing says:
Congrats on the feature, Emy!
I still have to catch up with your blogs. Love your photos!
The Defensive Walls