Travelling to Offbeat places - Vikramshila

Bhagalpur Travel Blog

Caves at bateshwarnath
Very often people request that they would like to visit any Offbeat place.. Away from the tourist crowd and specially touts. I am too fond of such places.

I decided to visit a small place called "Bateshwarnath" near Kahalgaon, Bihar around 44 KMS from Bhagalpur the "silk city". Me and my brother-in-law decided to go there on Bike, as we knew we would need to travel through area's where we might not get good roads (Although to our surprise, the condition of rural roads where much better than National Highway(NH-80), thanks to pradhan mantri gramin rojgar yogana)..

Bateshwarnath is a place which just looks like a picture postcard.. River Ganges is in full flow and miles till you can see..

Now the surprising element, when we reached there.
Man waiting for us
.we could see some tunnels in the hills.. we inquired from the locals about them.. and came to know that they are mines which were used by British People to take stones for make porcelains, ceramic materials. I got more information on internet the company was bengal potteries..and the mining was done extensively during 1919-1936.

We were very eager to go inside and we took a decision.. but nobody knew how long are they and is there any danger inside.. Anyway I used my camera's flash to get some inside view ..We didn't dared to go beyond 50 Meters as it was pitch dark.

We came back and I took some photographs of nearby places and started for ruins of vikramshila, which is around 2 KMs from there.

Again its hard too believe but the ruins of vikramshila have been carefully maintained.. A very good and well maintained museum which tell you about the history of this place..

No wonder why the kings choose such beautiful places for universities. King Dharmapal established three university.. Vikramshila, Nalanda and one more is in Bangladesh..

Now the problem of such offbeat place is like no arrangements of food and water, Even no transportation..That's pretty sad..

If one needs to be at such lovely places, he would need to arrange all these before and don't expect anything from the such places then only he would be able to enjoy such places.

I have uploaded some pictures of my trip.. will be uploading more soon..
Findings ways inside