The Locals

Koh Tao Travel Blog

Megan's First Entry:
Ko Tao, Thailand.  We have arrived in paradise.  As Rich mentioned before, we have been staying in Tao Tong Villa, a peaceful community of about 12 bungalows nestled in its own private cove.  The cove is guarded from the hustle and bustle of the island's "civilized" sectors by the thick vegetation of the jungle that surrounds it and is only accessible by boat or rough dirt roads and foot paths through hilly terrain.  Our bungalow sits high on a cliff above the water.  From this lofty position, Rich and I have experienced some wonderful sunsets.  The rythym of the waves crashing against the rocks below nightly lull Rich and I into a peaceful sleep.
Lazy days
Sleeping in the bungalow has an experience.   As it turns out, I have to share the bungalow with not just Rich, but with some local residents of the island as well.  It's not exactly what I signed up for... but... well... its just the way it is.

At first, it was quite unsettling to enter the bungalow, turn on the light (yes we splurged an extra 150 baht (about $4.00 USD) a night to have a light, fan, and running water) and see in the corner of my eye, creatures hurriedly skittering into their respective hiding places in the walls and attic.  We have happily shared our bungalow with a variety of locals including cockroaches, moths, lizards, spiders and so on.
  On the other hand, we have very much unhappily shared the bungalow with hoards of mosquitos.  Okay, the word 'hoards' may be an exageration, but the mosquitos surely were present and most surely left their mark- especially on Rich.  The mosquitos have feasted upon Rich to no end.  I have done my duty as the girlfriend and attempted to lift his spirits.  So, i have periodically reminded my dear Rich that they feast upon him, well, because he is so sweet.   As you might imagine, this has been of no consolation to him.  Happily, for the most part, the mosquitos elected to leave me alone.  Maybe...I'm just not as sweet as I thought.
Well, as Rich says, every paradise has its serpents. Ko Tao LITERALLY is no exception.One day we found a snake chillin' in our bungalow under my backpack.  He startled Rich, or more like Rich startled him.  We kindly asked him to leave and escorted him out.  We haven't seen him since.
Back home, I was deathly afraid of roaches and would always shriek and demand that somebody get rid of them. Now... well, now I have given up on the idea that I cannot cohabitate with them.  There is no way getting around it, they are pretty much everywhere here.  Now, when I enter my bungalow and spot one, I simply give him a nod and continue going about my business.  There is no point in trying to get rid of them.  They don't have to leave, I just have to change my attitude towards them.  This is not a place of clorox wipes, RAID, hand sanitizers and so on.  This is a different world.
vances says:
Realize I'm in on this grand adventure a bit late...but I really enjoy the blend of writing styles. And from the mosquito commentary it is obvious that Rich is a "sucker", lol!
Posted on: Jul 03, 2006
christihovis says:
Greetings! Nice to hear you've grown up enough to ride the cochroaches to the showers! ain't it fun to find out about new places?!?
Posted on: May 06, 2006
umbralwalker says:
Yeah, I get flowery, she gets down to the bugs! Hehe. I'm really glad she's writing blog entries now too. Hopefully we'll have more pictures up soon.
Posted on: May 03, 2006