Delay, delay, then stuck in Miami

Miami Beach Travel Blog

Snow globe of local culture - airport in Trinidad. :-)

I had considered two options for this morning as I would only have a available until noon. When the alarm sounded, I snoozed, then again, then again. I even skipped breakfast as I decided to rest and be fresh to work the next day. I knew there was much more to see here, more than I had originally thought, I should have done Trinidad and Tobago separate from Guyana.

I got up and ready in time to check out and call the airport transfer company to make sure they would be here, on time. I'm a little paranoid About this. One mess up and I could miss my flight...done that before. :-(

We made great time and even with some traffic it took only 30 minutes.  Arriving at the airport, I got into a very, very long line. I was 2 1/2 hours early, why was it so long.

My dinner at the Beat Western - Miami Intl Airport
  About 30 minutes into the wait, when I'd only moved a few feet, I knew something was wrong. An assistant was talking to someone about a delayed flight and asking people in line if we all had connections. I looked up at the signs over the check-in desks and it said that flight 1653 was delayed until 4:40. My flight was 1668... Not my flight. I went to a lady assisting an asked if there were two flights leaving as mine was a different number. I showed her my itinerary. She said that American Airlines had changed the flight number and time. I would be leaving at 4:40. So...it was my flight. She said that American would try to get me on some flight to get me home tonight if possible.

When I finally go to check in, I was informed that my flight wasn't leaving at 4:40pm, it would be leaving at 6pm. There had been a mechanical problem and 6pm was the soonest that American could get a plane here. He also informed me that the earliest connection would be in the morning as there was no other flight leaving Miami for Boston. He said that I would leave at 8:15 and land at 11:45am. I was told I would get a voucher for food here and then when I get to Miami I would get accommodations, transport and food vouchers for my delay.

I had so crappy pizza, two yogurts, a sip of sugar water called orange juice and a bottle of water.

After security, I found a souvenir shop with interesting posters.they are created each year for Carnival and are lively and colorful, I choose an amazing one showcasing a street party with lots of mischief going on. I also bought a snow globe showing differing native costumes...something different.

Now...I wait.

While seated in the lounge, I thought to check American's website. It showed the incoming flight to be late. It should our new departure time would be 6:40...no one updated us. No one said anything.

Finally an American Airline plane landed, 15 minutes before the expected arrival ( per the web). We still took off a bit late at 6:45pm. What more was to come? At least we were headed north, to the US.

When we landed, the process of immigrations and customs was the fastest I had even experienced. I think they felt sorry for us.

There was no one from American Airlines outside out arrival gate. There was no one outside immigration. There was no one outside customs.

I asked a random airport worker where I should go for assistance from American. He gave me some directions and I walked there. This whole terminal was an American Airlines hub so...it’s huge. I reached a person to ask for help. I told her what flight I was on and ask for the assistance I was promised. She had no information. She told me to go to “first class”. I had her repeat that as I didn’t understand how “first class” would be able to assist me. I was a bit upset, by now, and it reflected in my tone with her. I walked to the other end of the terminal to reach “first class’ and was told that they had no information and that I needed to go to “rebooking”. I was furious. I now felt as though no one really cared about the position that their company had put me or the rest of the displaced passengers in.

I returned to the original person and by this time there were several other fellow passenger. I let into her and asked her to actually do something instead of just making guesses. Soon several other representatives joined and one of them. One lady asked where I was trying to reach. I explained that I already had a flight and I had a boarding pass. I just needed accommodations, food vouchers, and transport.

I asked her to please give me a hotel that was near and that had an open restaurant as I was hungry and it was after 11pm. She assured me that the Best Western I was being sent to would be able to to satisfy me.

I walked out of the airport doors to the shuttle waiting area. I would wait 30 minutes before the hotel’s shuttle would arrive. It was midnight by the time I reached the hotel. As I was being checked in, I asked about the restaurant. It had closed. Aarrgghh! I informed the clerk that American had sent me to their hotel as I had asked for a hotel with an open restaurant. The offered to return me to the airport for American to make other arrangements. I couldn’t believe my ears. That had to be some of the worst customer service I’d ever experienced. She told me that they had a snack bar with some drinks and a few microwaveable items. She then informed me that the meal voucher could not be used. I could buy  and then have American reimburse me. Again...such utter disregard.

I bought a bottle of water, a yogurt and a small cup of microwave mac and cheese that you add water to. That would have to be dinner. I was so upset, hungry, and tired. I knew my morning would come quickly though so, I made my pitiful dinner and tried to sleep.

Snow globe of local culture - airp…
Snow globe of local culture - air…
My dinner at the Beat Western - Mi…
My dinner at the Beat Western - M…
Miami Beach