Learning to windsurf

Naxos Travel Blog

Naxos old town is a beautiful maze of tiny alleyways and steps opening into small dappled courtyards filled with tavernas, crooked shops selling beautiful jewlary, pottery, clothes and other bits and pieces for tourists and winding staircases leading up to domataria with roof terraces and balconies overlooking the sea.

Along the main beach the German run watersports centre, Flisvos, runs windsurfing and sailing lessons and has equipment hire too. We took the introductory windsurfing lessons, Nicholas doing much better than me. I have never spent so much time falling into the water. And each time I fell in a different way. Head over heels, bum first, onto the sail, under the sail, onto my knees, onto my toe, onto my elbow, across the bow of the board, back over the stern... I got very wet and lost my sunglasses too (leaving me with an expensice pair with lenses too light to be of any use). I think I'll stick to sailing.

Nicholas however got on really well and seems to have mastered getting up onto the board, turning round and changing direction. I bet I would still be faster than him in a boat thou :)
Naxos