Sunrise Over Monument Valley

Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park Travel Blog

Sunrise over Monument Valley
After a sleepless night, by choice, we arose before sunrise to head to a spot on the mesa that would provide the best first light on the monuments below us. The sky had a few clouds that might block the sun and we were beginning to worry that we would not have good light this morning.

Although we missed the first light because of some clouds, the sun did break through and lit up the valley below. All the photographers begin in erst to capture that special photo for which we made the trek up here.

After the sunrise shoot, we went back to the campsite and had breakfast, once again our Navajo guides, Tom and John provided a great meal. We broke camp, loaded up the 4x4's and started to head down off of Hunt's Mesa. We stopped at a very secluded area called Spider Web Arch for about 45 minutes.
Spider Web Arch
This was exciting for me as I climbed up into the arch. Going up was the easy part, coming down was an altogether different story. I have new respect for mountain goats.

We took an alternate route down from the Mesa and avoided the previous day's sand traps. This route took us along a dry riverbed. The guides stopped the vehicles and pointed out an ancient cliff dwelling high above the riverbed. I stood and wondered why anyone would make their home in such a treacherous location.

Further along the riverbed, we stopped again and the guides showed us prehistoric footprints in a rock. Not sure what type of animal left these tracks. As we walked away, I noticed the footprints we left in the sand along the riverbed and wondered if 1,000 years from now somebody might wonder what those tracks were from.

We ended up back at John's house where we left our vans. I bought some Navajo jewelry from one of John's sons. Everybody is very friendly here and I can not wait until I come back to Monument Valley later on my trip.

We left and headed towards Flagstaff, Arizona. We stopped in Kayenta, Arizona for lunch, the local Burger King had an exhibit of the Code Talkers from WWII. John had told us up on Hunt's Mesa that  his paternal grandfather had just passed away a week before and he was one of the 400 or so Code Talkers during the war.

We arrived in Flagstaff around 4PM and I said goodbye to the group and headed to my hotel.
simsing says:
Yeah, the pictures are amazing! I also made a trip to some of these places. It felt like out of the world!
Posted on: Oct 05, 2012
Spider Web Arch
Absolutely beautiful here, I will …
Absolutely beautiful here, I will…
Me, after climbing up into the arch
Me, after climbing up into the arch
Ancient cliff dweller ruins
Ancient cliff dweller ruins
The dry riverbed that led us off o…
The dry riverbed that led us off …
Prehistoric footprints